1. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 639   +127

Still more than half are on XP.

2. Emil

Emil TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 154

Unfortunately.

3. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,271

Only for a few more years then Microsoft are stopping support for it.

4. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

I bet even once support ends there will be still be a frankly huge volume of the worlds users using it.

5. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

=China

6. Leeky

Yeah, not to mention India, and the African continent.

7. freythman

freythman TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +10

I service a few organizations that are still on XP just because of the cost to upgrade. (Though I wish I could convince them to shell out the cash for 7)

8. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

Am I a bad person for finding XP fanboys annoying?

9. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 692   +48

Considering how good Windows 7 is im am not surprised. If it wasn't so expensive they would probably have 70%+

10. g4mer

g4mer TS Enthusiast Posts: 340

Some people don't care about thier OS or don't even know what OS is. They won't touch it as long as it works without problems.

11. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I don't think its expensive at all. it comes down to if you're either a person that pays for software or pirates software.

If you pay for software, its really a drop in the bucket compared to $60 games, and even more expensive app(lication)s. Even if you assume a 2 year life cycle of an OS, it comes out to be pennies a day.

If you pirate software, then it could cost $10 and you would still not pay for it.

12. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

I would buy it if Professional or Ultimate was under $100, but thankfully I havent bought it, because Windows 8 is right around the corner..hopefully they make it harder to pirate. ;)

13. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

With all due respect what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that we people here in the third world countries(as many people in your first world country would term it) are technologically inferior to you and are of pre-historic age?
    I myself and I know many of my friends and relatives who have switched to the newer version of the OS realizing its importance.Its just that we take some time to think about what we are buying and whether it would be worth of our hard earned money.All of us here don't own a credit card and neither we have that kind of money to go out there and pre-order every damn peice of software.Sorry,if I may sound a bit harsh but there are some things that hurt and need some clarification.

And, as has been pointed out in this very publication-
    http://www.techspot.com/news/43142-...is-a-market-failure-not-a-legal-failure.html,
    there is a lack of market infrastructure(relating to software) in many developing countries.

14. nismo91

nismo91 TS Guru Posts: 1,004   +11

still on vista. can't find any cheap 7 upgrades here.

anyway my guess are there are more ppl who upgrade from vista to 7 rather than xp to 7.

15. Leeky

Of course I don't mean that in an offensive manner, but with all due respect you're being as stereotypical as you "assumed" I was.

I'm simply thinking of the population of India, China, and the African continent. For example, the United Kingdom has a population of approx 62 million people. Your country for example, has a population of approx 1.15 billion people.

That in itself will count for a huge number of Windows XP users, and that is and was my point.

It is in no way offensive to suggest your country has an infrastructure that is still growing, and due to the lack of it in certain areas, the cost of upgrading is unreasonable. The same is true of Africa, which has frankly appalling infrastructure and huge digital divides within its borders.

16. No doubt that 99.9% of computers running Windows XP in China is pirated.

17. Zecias

Zecias TS Booster Posts: 202

not really when you compare it to other things that people buy.
    lots of people have cable = $100 a month
    fast internet = $50 - 100 a month
    phones(land line or cell phones)= $20-60 a month
    clothes = $30-100
    movies = $10-15
    saying windows 7 is expensive and sticking with XP is like saying the electric bills are too expensive and using candles for light and salt for refrigeration(exaggeration, but i cant think of anything else off the top of my head).
    it really isn't that expensive if you compare it to other things that you buy. there are many other nonessential items that you could cut back on and save more money.

18. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,227

I love windows 7 . The only time i hated win7 is when i was gaming with old hardware or hardware that cant seem to keep up with the OS, but now that i have hardware that can handle it , i am loving it. Windows 7 rocks :)

19. taimuraly

taimuraly TS Enthusiast Posts: 120

Most people don't actually buy a separate OS but rather by a branded PC with the OS installed. So until they get a new PC, they will probably remain on the same OS.
    Also getting Win7 is an added expensive which people avoid as their current OS is working fine and is sufficient. But when they do decide, Win 8 would be releasing so they would rather upgrade to that instead =)

20. taimuraly

taimuraly TS Enthusiast Posts: 120

Most people don't actually buy a separate OS but rather by a branded PC with the OS installed. So until they get a new PC, they will probably remain on the same OS.
    Also getting Win7 is an added expensive which people avoid as their current OS is working fine and is sufficient. But when they do decide, Win 8 would be releasing so they would rather upgrade to that instead =)

21. My business is still running XP, it's too expensive upgrading to Windows 7 and the new version of MS Office. More than double price in Australia than the US yet the Aus$ is worth more than US$. Microsoft said it was due to logistic - what for a download. As a result we are now investigating alternative solutions including CLOUD services and sever our dependency on Microsoft. This is evident in the smartphone & tablet market. At home we asked the same question, why do we need Microsoft - we are now an Apple house with one Android device. for less dollars.

22. XP for ever !!!

23. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

I am not a stereotype and how can I myself think of my country in such a way....
    Well, I just needed some clarification as to the context of the post.
    Its nothing personal.... :)

24. Leeky

@T77
    I suggested you were a stereotype because you're assuming we're all super rich and just aimlessly waste money on hardware because "we" can. Suggesting we just throw it on credit cards and really don't consider what we're doing because we don't have to is a huge stereotype if ever I saw one.

You may view the Western world as being richer, but its all relative.

Saying its nothing personal doesn't really make it OK either does it? :haha:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.