25% of users now on Windows 7

Emil

Staff

By the end of 2010, Windows 7 had grabbed 20 percent of the market. At the end of April 2011, Microsoft can already say that Windows 7 has passed the 25 percent mark, according to Net Applications. In other words, the latest and greatest operating system from Redmond is now installed on one in four computers.

While Windows 7 is surging in market share, Windows is slowly slipping: between March and April, it fell 0.67 percentage points (from 89.58 percent to 88.91 percent). At the same time, Mac OS gained 0.15 percentage points (from 5.25 percent to 5.40 percent) and Linux fell 0.02 percentage points (from 0.96 percent to 0.94 percent). Unsurprisingly, mobile operating systems gained share.

In the same time period, Windows 7 gained 0.94 percentage points (from 24.17 percent to 25.11 percent). Windows Vista meanwhile slipped 0.34 percentage points (from 10.56 percent to 10.22 percent) and Windows XP fell 1.21 percentage points (from 54.39 percent to 53.18 percent). It won't be long now before we see Windows Vista in single digit market share and Windows XP below the 50 percent mark.

Last month, Microsoft announced that Windows 7 had sold more than 350 million licenses in the last 18 months. This means that Microsoft is selling just fewer than 20 million licenses per month. Back to school season is coming up, followed by the holiday shopping frenzy, so that number should remain stable till 2012 at least.

If you're already on Windows 7, you should check out our guides for Microsoft's latest operating system. If you haven't upgraded to it yet, tell us why in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

I bet even once support ends there will be still be a frankly huge volume of the worlds users using it.

I service a few organizations that are still on XP just because of the cost to upgrade. (Though I wish I could convince them to shell out the cash for 7)

Some people don't care about thier OS or don't even know what OS is. They won't touch it as long as it works without problems.

Xclusiveitalian said:
Considering how good Windows 7 is im am not surprised. If it wasn't so expensive they would probably have 70%+

I don't think its expensive at all. it comes down to if you're either a person that pays for software or pirates software.

If you pay for software, its really a drop in the bucket compared to $60 games, and even more expensive app(lication)s. Even if you assume a 2 year life cycle of an OS, it comes out to be pennies a day.

If you pirate software, then it could cost $10 and you would still not pay for it.

gwailo247 said:
Xclusiveitalian said:
Considering how good Windows 7 is im am not surprised. If it wasn't so expensive they would probably have 70%+

I don't think its expensive at all. it comes down to if you're either a person that pays for software or pirates software.

If you pay for software, its really a drop in the bucket compared to $60 games, and even more expensive app(lication)s. Even if you assume a 2 year life cycle of an OS, it comes out to be pennies a day.

If you pirate software, then it could cost $10 and you would still not pay for it.

I would buy it if Professional or Ultimate was under $100, but thankfully I havent bought it, because Windows 8 is right around the corner..hopefully they make it harder to pirate. ;)

Leeky said:
Yeah, not to mention India, and the African continent.

With all due respect what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that we people here in the third world countries(as many people in your first world country would term it) are technologically inferior to you and are of pre-historic age?
I myself and I know many of my friends and relatives who have switched to the newer version of the OS realizing its importance.Its just that we take some time to think about what we are buying and whether it would be worth of our hard earned money.All of us here don't own a credit card and neither we have that kind of money to go out there and pre-order every damn peice of software.Sorry,if I may sound a bit harsh but there are some things that hurt and need some clarification.

And, as has been pointed out in this very publication-
https://www.techspot.com/news/43142...-is-a-market-failure-not-a-legal-failure.html
there is a lack of market infrastructure(relating to software) in many developing countries.

still on vista. can't find any cheap 7 upgrades here.

anyway my guess are there are more ppl who upgrade from vista to 7 rather than xp to 7.

With all due respect what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that we people here in the third world countries(as many people in your first world country would term it) are technologically inferior to you and are of pre-historic age?
I myself and I know many of my friends and relatives who have switched to the newer version of the OS realizing its importance.Its just that we take some time to think about what we are buying and whether it would be worth of our hard earned money.All of us here don't own a credit card and neither we have that kind of money to go out there and pre-order every damn peice of software.Sorry,if I may sound a bit harsh but there are some things that hurt and need some clarification.

https://www.techspot.com/news/43142...-is-a-market-failure-not-a-legal-failure.html
there is a lack of market infrastructure(relating to software) in many developing countries.

Of course I don't mean that in an offensive manner, but with all due respect you're being as stereotypical as you "assumed" I was.

I'm simply thinking of the population of India, China, and the African continent. For example, the United Kingdom has a population of approx 62 million people. Your country for example, has a population of approx 1.15 billion people.

That in itself will count for a huge number of Windows XP users, and that is and was my point.

It is in no way offensive to suggest your country has an infrastructure that is still growing, and due to the lack of it in certain areas, the cost of upgrading is unreasonable. The same is true of Africa, which has frankly appalling infrastructure and huge digital divides within its borders.

No doubt that 99.9% of computers running Windows XP in China is pirated.

Xclusiveitalian said:
not really when you compare it to other things that people buy.
lots of people have cable = $100 a month
fast internet = $50 - 100 a month
phones(land line or cell phones)= $20-60 a month
clothes = $30-100
movies = $10-15
saying windows 7 is expensive and sticking with XP is like saying the electric bills are too expensive and using candles for light and salt for refrigeration(exaggeration, but i cant think of anything else off the top of my head).
it really isn't that expensive if you compare it to other things that you buy. there are many other nonessential items that you could cut back on and save more money.

I love windows 7 . The only time i hated win7 is when i was gaming with old hardware or hardware that cant seem to keep up with the OS, but now that i have hardware that can handle it , i am loving it. Windows 7 rocks :)

Most people don't actually buy a separate OS but rather by a branded PC with the OS installed. So until they get a new PC, they will probably remain on the same OS.
Also getting Win7 is an added expensive which people avoid as their current OS is working fine and is sufficient. But when they do decide, Win 8 would be releasing so they would rather upgrade to that instead =)

Most people don't actually buy a separate OS but rather by a branded PC with the OS installed. So until they get a new PC, they will probably remain on the same OS.
Also getting Win7 is an added expensive which people avoid as their current OS is working fine and is sufficient. But when they do decide, Win 8 would be releasing so they would rather upgrade to that instead =)

My business is still running XP, it's too expensive upgrading to Windows 7 and the new version of MS Office. More than double price in Australia than the US yet the Aus$ is worth more than US$. Microsoft said it was due to logistic - what for a download. As a result we are now investigating alternative solutions including CLOUD services and sever our dependency on Microsoft. This is evident in the smartphone & tablet market. At home we asked the same question, why do we need Microsoft - we are now an Apple house with one Android device. for less dollars.

Leeky said:

Of course I don't mean that in an offensive manner, but with all due respect you're being as stereotypical as you "assumed" I was.

I'm simply thinking of the population of India, China, and the African continent. For example, the United Kingdom has a population of approx 62 million people. Your country for example, has a population of approx 1.15 billion people.

That in itself will count for a huge number of Windows XP users, and that is and was my point.

I am not a stereotype and how can I myself think of my country in such a way....
Well, I just needed some clarification as to the context of the post.
Its nothing personal.... :)

@T77
I suggested you were a stereotype because you're assuming we're all super rich and just aimlessly waste money on hardware because "we" can. Suggesting we just throw it on credit cards and really don't consider what we're doing because we don't have to is a huge stereotype if ever I saw one.

You may view the Western world as being richer, but its all relative.

Saying its nothing personal doesn't really make it OK either does it? :haha:

Back