TechSpot

$25 Raspberry Pi twice as powerful as iPhone 4S GPU, burns Tegra 2

By Shawn Knight
Jan 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A new interview with executive director Eben Upton reveals that the upcoming $25 Raspberry Pi minicomputer offers twice the graphical performance of Apple’s iPhone 4S and thoroughly smokes Nvidia’s Tegra‚Ķ

Read the whole story

2. Very impressive indeed!

3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

I've been watching this little product for a while now... Have a few little pet projects in mind for the networking version ($35) that is being produced first. My first endeavor will be a few older TVs that are going to be getting a "smart TV" upgrade. Good times.

4. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

+1, i am currently using xbox 1's with XBMC loaded on them which are cumbersome and somewhat ugly, can't wait to get these guys and just tape them to the back of my TV!

They have 3 different approved distro's of linux which should all run XBMC nicely! and if they don't (for me) a simple SaMBa share will suffice! I can't wait much longer, been following this project for awhile now and every time i hear more news i get giddier inside! (Release date is encroaching!)

5. very good project, unless a patent troll finds a way to stop it (Apple ?)

6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,354   +109

I want 3 good sir

7. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 990   +99

I never even heard of Rasberry Pi until couple weeks ago, and now they have beaten nVIDIA and PowerVR chips? Intel come on, you're time to shine has to be soon if these little guys can do it.

8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

My one stumbling block at the moment is Netflix playback, which I know is a bit convoluted on Linux (since Silverlight is not available in Linux). I had heard Netflix was releasing a Linux stand-alone streaming app similar to what they have done with Android, Chrome OS, iOS, etc. Just haven't heard whether it's still in process, or dead. Definitely want streaming on my TV upgrading projects!

9. Good luck fitting that giant beast into an 11mm thick cell phone. My radeon 4850 runs 1000x faster than an iPhone 4s gpu. DUH! put that into a cell phone too please.

10. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 454   +81

Wow dude thats an engineering sample, way to show off your stupidness here.

The actual part that's going into other devices like phones its just the tiny square chip in the center.

11. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,690   +60

dang and smart phones are like 600$

12. "you're a genius..."

13. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I'm soooo getting a bunch of these. It is great to find cheap and powerful hardware to learn and play on.

14. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

Just knock off the unneeded io ports and you have a canvas for the next fairly large hand held device.

15. NONE of it is going into mobile devices - the whole point of Raspberry Pi is that it is an inexpensive, standalone computer. Its not a component, or a SoC, its a fully fledged computer.

16. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Powering the upcoming Wii U.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.