256mb ram won't work on my Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I put the new 256mb chip into the DIM1 slot and try to boot up, nothing happens. I guess this is because there is no boot process saved on the chip. When I put the 128mb ram chip in the DIM2 slot, with the 256mb chip in DIM1, again, the laptop fails to boot up.

Obviously the laptop boots up when the 128mb ram chip is in DIM1 fine, but when I put the 256mb ram chip into DIM2, I get a warning message :

"Memory read/write failure at 08002000 , read 00000000 expecting 00EF00EF decreasing available memory"

My laptop is a Dell Latitude c600 with Bios A17. I looked up on the internet and several sites said my laptop can take up to 512mb of SODIMM 133mhz 144pin ram.

How do I set up my laptop so I have a combined memory total of 384mb instead of just 128mb?

Cheers

welcom to techspot.

some combination of different types of ram may not work? just a couple of questions
1) does it boot with just the 256 in either slot?
2) are you certain that both sticks are the same type ie.. eec, registered and same frequency?

pcaceit said:
welcom to techspot.

some combination of different types of ram may not work? just a couple of questions
1) does it boot with just the 256 in either slot?
2) are you certain that both sticks are the same type ie.. eec, registered and same frequency?

Have you checked in the bios for any setting that limits the available ram?

1) No my laptop doesn't boot with the 256 in either DIMM slot.
2) My 256 is 133mhz and the 128 is 100mhz. I'm not sure about EEC.

Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Try the 128mb in the slot two to eliminate the possibility of a faulty slot.
if it does not work on its own in both slots then you have a faulty slot.

As the 256 does not work in either slot on its own and your laptop definately supports 133mhz, its most likely to be faulty or incompatable type of ram for that dell.

Also it is possible that the 100mhz 128mb that you have will not work along side a 133mhz of any size. but as the 256 is not working in either slot on it own, we wont know that for sure.

Check Dell website and get the specifications for your laptop because it is also possible that the laptop does not support 133mhz ram, because when it is in with the other 100mhz 128mb you get memory read errors.

please post update
hope this was helpful

mattbutler123 said:
pcaceit: Ok I'll check to see if I have a faulty slot

N3051M: This site says that I can use PC133 133mhz ram http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...tabid=AM&model=Latitude+C600+Series&submit=Go

I presume that site is right, unless I over looked something?

just checked that site and it gave me totally wrong info about my system
said my fsb was 200 its not its 333, said my processor was a sempron not a sempron 64. also said i had 3 mem slots and that slot 3 available for upgrade.
i've only got 2 slots

I would bet N3051M's last dollar lol that your dell will only handle pc100 100mhz

Would need Dell tag and any other details off your laptop to check specs...

pcaceit said:
just checked that site and it gave me totally wrong info about my system
said my fsb was 200 its not its 333, said my processor was a sempron not a sempron 64. also said i had 3 mem slots and that slot 3 available for upgrade.
i've only got 2 slots

I would bet N3051M's last dollar lol that your dell will only handle pc100 100mhz

Would need Dell tag and any other details off your laptop to check specs...

Oh ok. What do you mean by "Dell tag"?

On the bottom of your laptop there should be a sticker with barcode
says on Service Tag and possibly express service code

so if you can get all those details along with the model No: and Exact Name.
Right now l'm looking at a "Latitude C540/C640"

and search dell site for specifications
if you're having trouble doing that just get back to me with those details.

lol.. just in case no one noticed that the link i've provided it came directly from dell.com..... and unless i got the wrong model then thats the specs as requested :)

I'm still laughing, you SHOULD HAVE SHOUTED LOUDER CAUSE I COULDNT HEAR YOU. LOL

and to think N3051M that you allowed me to bet your last dollar on it lol

pcaceit said:
I'm still laughing, you SHOULD HAVE SHOUTED LOUDER CAUSE I COULDNT HEAR YOU. LOL

and to think N3051M that you allowed me to bet your last dollar on it lol

Sorry mattbutler123,
follow the link that N3051 posted and check that it matches whats on the botom of your laptop.

and if it does then like we suspected all along you need a PC100 100mhz
stick so return it where ever you purchased it.

good luck

Here's my laptop's memory specs from Dell website:

Memory
Available Memory 10.88 %
Page File Size 1920.4Mb
Available Page File 2.956 %
Virtual Memory 2047.8Mb
Available Virtual Memory 98.03 %
Memory Slot 1 [DIMM_A] 128Mb
Memory Slot 2 [DIMM_B] 256Mb

Memory

Good news is that it would seem that my 2nd slot is in working order, but not my 256 ram :(

EDIT: Ok thanks for your help guys, it's much appreciated :)

Those details would have to come from a system with those two memories connected and both working. those are not system specifications.

pagefile????
are you saying that you got those details arter an online analysys of your laptop? beacuse there is no other way that they could obtain them.

propper specs do not look like that and i am not an *****
so if you are going to mess around then waste time on another site please
we try to help people

pcaceit said:
Those details would have to come from a system with those two memories connected and both working. those are not system specifications.

pagefile????
are you saying that you got those details arter an online analysys of your laptop? beacuse there is no other way that they could obtain them.

propper specs do not look like that and i am not an *****
so if you are going to mess around then waste time on another site please
we try to help people

What? I checked my current system specification on the Dell website. How am I trying to waste your time?

Making comments like that WILL MAKE NEW MEMBERS like myself leave. That's pretty pissed me off and completely offended me.

So in other words, **** you too :mad:

Tedster said:
many dell latops use proprietary memory - especially if they're older.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic47210.html

Hi tedster Look at these specs and think carefully, you would have to have a fully working laptop for dell to analize these specs look page file the 256 non working memory and how do know available virtual memory if your laptop is not on and functional. how did dell read a 256 non working memory in a non bootable laptop when the memory wa in slot

read the rest of the thread

Available Memory 10.88 %
Page File Size 1920.4Mb
Available Page File 2.956 %
Virtual Memory 2047.8Mb
Available Virtual Memory 98.03 %

Memory

Hey guys, keep it civil please.

We do not allow flaming or swearing here.

Now to your problem.

You should check for ram compatibility. That is to say, it`s not normally a good idea to use two different sizes of ram or two different brands either.

It is of course entirely possible that your 256MB stick of ram is faulty or incompatible in some way. Rma the stick and and get either an identical 128MB stick to what you already have or two identical 256MB sticks. Then see if you still have problems.

Regards Howard :)

the article says don't mix & match sizes and types of memory.
of course this may not be the only issue.

hey matt, i'm interested in what part of Dell's website you got that reading.. can you paste us the whole link? Also can you tell us the model number and the service tag on the bottom of the laptop?

And like howard said, the only way to know if that ram is faulty or incompatible is to test it out or send it back to be replaced.

eg: if the ram works on anohter laptop that its compatible to then it could most likely be incompatibility. If it doesnt work on another machine then its the ram being faulty.
If you sent it to be replaced then it still dont work then (unless your unlucky to get 2 dodgy rams) then its definately incompatible.

Please dont be offended since it is difficult to troubleshoot over the internet in this format since everyone has a different level of tech knowledge, and things can get lost in translation. He was refering to your post on the supposed specs, which were just a basic read off your current hardware and software configuration (you can even download a program like Everest Home for example that tells you this), and not the technical hardware specs of what the laptop has and can handle that we needed. One such way we can confirm the actual laptop insides is the service tag/model number from the flip side of the laptop or a read from a hardware scanner such as SIW or Everest Home, going to the motherboard section and getting the model of the motherboard etc or other related info.

mattbutler123 said:
What? I checked my current system specification on the Dell website. How am I trying to waste your time?

Making comments like that WILL MAKE NEW MEMBERS like myself leave. That's pretty pissed me off and completely offended me.

So in other words, **** you too :mad:

For anyone who might need to get proper technical specifications for their
Dell laptop Click link below to see how dell website gives your systems specs.

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latc600/en/ug/specs.htm

regards Pcaceit.

ya gotta have a thick skin when posting in a tech forum. No one really knows skill levels of forum members unless they've hung around a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back