TechSpot

28Gb Loss on 400Gb Drive from format? Sector Testing?

By IPEX computing
Nov 14, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi

I have just purchased a 400Gb HDD, unfortunalty refurbished, which the seller claims was fully tested.
    After putting the Hard drive into my computer i noticed that that drive was only reading about 380928Mb which works out at 372Gb. I contacted the seller and he insists that the drive will loose a lof of space when formatted. I know quite a bit about computers and i have never come across a hard drive that looses 28Gb of space from a format. I know Hard drives are never exactly what they say but i thought that this was too much.
    In case i am wrong here are the details of the Hard Drive.
    SEAGATE 400gb Barracuda 7200rpm....8mb Cache

I would also like to carry out a Sector Test on the Drive. How do i go about this.

Cheers
    James Davies
    IPEX Computing
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

It's just marketing. The storage device manufacturers sell kilobytes as 1000 bytes, megabytes as 1000000, gigabytes as 10^9. It makes the devices look bigger.

Computers count kilobytes as 1024 bytes, megabytes as 1,048,576 bytes, gigabytes as 1,073,741,824 bytes.

400 * 10^9 / 1,073,741,824 = 372.529 GB.
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Here's a reasonably complete list of diagnostic utilities. Check out the Manufacturer diagnostics, all of which test sectors outside of Windows. (only good way to do it. ;))

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.