2K Games axes BioShock 2 DLC for PC

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

PC gamers hoping to experience BioShock 2's downloadable content might just be out of luck. In a post on its message boards, 2K Games announced that it has scrapped development for two expansions, The Protector Trails and Minerva's Den -- one of which has been available on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 since August. The company also shared a few details about a forthcoming patch for the console versions.

"We are planning patches for the 360 and PS3 to fix some functionality issues, but they will not drastically change gameplay (and I'll post the patch notes when I get them - these two items are still in with QA.) We will also not be offering Protector Trials and Minerva's Den on the PC in the future - and I want to say that I'm sorry for the disappointment this will cause to PC players out there," said 2K's Elizabeth Tobey.

The announcement comes as many question the state of PC gaming and criticize developers for increasingly favoring consoles. Disgruntled community members asked for the reason behind 2K's decision, but the company didn't reveal much, simply blaming "timing and technical issues" for the cancellation.

Permalink to story.

I don't buy DLC's so it doesn't bother me much, but it is the principle of the matter

couldn't care less, game was just okay at best anyways. looking forward to infinite though...

Chicken or egg scenario.
This trend is dangerous.
Obviously console hardware is advanced through enthusiast market saturation.
Without the pc to backbone sales of ever changing hardware, areas of gpu, cpu, ppu development happen less with less advanceing in previous versions iterations.
Lamens, People buying video cards for their pc's made it possible to develop the rsx for ps3, and xbox graphics solution at a lower cost.
In 15 years where will we be? Hopefully more of an open hardware console solution.

This is why I refuse to get a console. I will not give in to you bastards and your consoles.

PC's = freedom. Nuf said.

I suppose and unfortunate side effect of developing games on consoles and porting them to PC. Mix in the fact most PC gamers don't like paying for incremental DLC. Add the fact that they are working on Bioshock Infinite and I'm disappointed but not surprised.

@Guest on October 12, 2010 7:02 PM The fanboys for either PC or consoles are both equally annoying

Guest said:
@Guest on October 12, 2010 7:02 PM The fanboys for either PC or consoles are both equally annoying

Not true. Console gamers bash PC with comments about bad controls and bad graphics because they base it on their computer. I experience this every day. PC fanboys may be annoying but it's far worse with console fanboys making arguments that are outright false.

No, PC elitists are just as bad as Console fanboys. I believe the pc gamers are correct, but they are just as annoying, nonetheless

@princeton Why should you care if some anonymous person disses PC gamers and say console gamers are the best? At the end of the day it doesn't matter which is better because there are more important things in life to deal with.

First it I refused to buy MW2 because of this console BS. I also was not going to pay $60 for a game altogether. Now It looks like I wont be buying 2K games anymore. I have given up on the bigger names in games in favor of steam. Valves games are good and they have deals on other games I would not normally pay for. Got Mass effect, assassins creeds 1, and mirrors edge for $5 each. Recently got L4D 1&2 for $10, but those are valve games.

The thing that is really sad about the console and PC fight is that it shows a lack of education. Console gamers don't understand computers at all, and businesses don't make it easy, either. When I hear 360 has better graphics than PC I laugh my balls off. On the inside, though, I cry. They don't realize that their 360 graphics card is pretty much an X1900XT. They have no idea what texture size, aliasing, or shaders are. They have no idea what the clock speed is on there CPU, how could they possibly know what their Vram and shader clocks are. They can't compare side by side for themselves.

I'm constantly seeing they gaming companies ignore PC's and prey on the unsuspecting, uneducated Console gamer. There love for there Xbox is taking money out of R&D for better technology.

When i show someone my 8800GT SLi and load a game they play on console, they are always stunned. Showed someone who thought CoD4:MW graphics are better on console than his PC. I plug my laptop to his HDTV and played it @1080P 8XAA 16XAF. needless to say, he was stunned. I loaded up Crysis and he was wanted me to build him a PC since then.

I've also heard that you can customize your xbox more than you can a PC. I think about my Antec 900 with purple LED's in it and go on about my life. (not to mention 2.5 Tb of storage over 3 hard drives.)

Consoles are a drain on innovation and have made gaming into a fad. The masses fall for it and think they love it. It isn't the preference of a console that bothers me, it is the ignorance to the differences.

Pity, but I wasn't going to pick up Bioshock 2 anyway

And what bugs me about that most games have console mains with PC ports isn't graphics, the problem as I see it are doors (and sometimes interface).

Levels tend to be much smaller so game feels like you run through a series of small(ish) rooms with lots of loading screens between. This is also my main concern about Crysis 2.

Well I didn't really like Bioshock 2 anyways, I gave it to a friend in the end.

Anyway about the whole "Console Vs PC" debate, I have a personal experience that happened to me in the summer I think if shared to all Console gamers they may finally realise why the PC rules.

It started off I was staying round a friends house for a couple of weeks since his parents were away (and he still has moved out yet!). He has a fairly decent Dell but the day he got it we stuck a good xfx 9800GTX+ and a new PSU in it, now runs mostly anything you throw at it. I have a completely custom computer I built myself and another friend of mine I also built a computer for was staying round with all our computer, Having LAN matches etc.. Since my friend had a good Internet connection as well we usually would go onto L4D2.

Now another friend of Mine LOVES the Xbox and recently bought and played through thw whole campaign some of it with Bots, some with Online folk. He thought it was an epic game but that the multiplayer part was lacking.

Me and my friends invited him around, he stayed 2 whole days to complete it with and without Bots like he did before.

less than 3 days later he gave me a shed load of money to build him a gaming rig. He has been a console gamer since before I even knew him.

I think that, in itself, is something i'm sure if a console gamer tried, would change there mind about which machine they prefer or at least give the PC some slack.

Disappointing to say the least for PC gamers but they haven't been exactly friendly to us for some time. Happy now that I never invested in the Bioshock franchise.

It is getting to the point where I'm going to have to stop buying games from all the compaines that turn their back on PC gamers. I own Bioshock 1 and 2 on PC. If they don't at least make an effort to relaese it on Digital Download channels they are dead to me... after Inifinite. I'm sold on it... and I just cannot walk away from the up coming title. But FPS still are not good enough experience control wise for me on the consoles. I don't like targeting with a thumb stick. I can only deal with it in 3rd person. But looking around, I'm just used to the mouse or another pointing device... maybe the PS Move will be helpful. But that still does not make up for leaving PC gamers out in the cold. The FPS players made the kind of games viable on the consoles. If those gamers did not support a genre, they would have never made it on the consoles and lesser versions of the PC games.

Good news! 2K has backtracked! Final patch, Protector's Trials and Minerva's Den will come to the PC after all!
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1254568#post1254568

Back