TechSpot

2nd Problem of the day (HDD issues)

By Bark4Soul
Nov 29, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My 2nd HDD, a 200 GB Western Digital Hard drive is not working right since I moved. Windows doesnt see it, it's my "D" drive and I had it renamed. I use it to store stuff on, windows is not on this drive, but when I click it, it says that the drive is now un-readable or corrupted, is it possible something got jarred when I transferred it in my car or something came lose? Or do I need to run some form of a diagnostic on it? I cant really afford to lose this drive, it has like 7 years of photos, music, movies, etc...u get the idea right? I really wanna get it readable so I can back it up and get a new drive, also, any help here is greatly appreciated...thank you!! And heres to someone saving my day /tear

Bark
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

The first thing to do would be to open your case up and make sure the data and power cables are fitted tightly.
  3. Bark4Soul

Bark4Soul TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 96

Okay, I will look into that real quick and see if something came disco'd when I moved it from A to B
  4. Bark4Soul

Okay I still need help...can someone suggest anything?
  5. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

A new ata data cable may be worth a try, they do fail from time to time and a new one wont cost much.
  6. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 Newcomer, in training Posts: 563

hey Bark4Soul

Umm, try this... plug the hard drive into another pc and see if the same error shows up...

Spyder_1386 :)
  7. Bark4Soul

IS there a diagnostic tool I can run to see if it will help from the maker of the HD? I unplugged it, made sure it was good, and now it is being read but it says it is damaged or corrupted....ugh
  8. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,623

back it up as fast as possible the drive is fixing to fail, then go buy a new drive to replace it.
  9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

go into disc management in the control panel. If the computer can see the drive, assign it a letter. If the computer cannot see the drive, then you have a hardware issue.
  10. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

find what you want at Western Digital website under maybe tools or diagnostics
  11. Bark4Soul

Well my comp sees it as the D: Drive it has been, but it says there is nothing there. How do I go into disc management and try and troubleshoot that?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.