2WIRE 3801 HGV-B modem spec

Does anyone know if the 2WIRE 3801 HGV-B which is the latest model router/modem used by U-Verse uses a Docsis 2 or Docsis 3 modem? I cannot get an answer from anyone and the 2WIRE seems to be the reason that my U-Verse Internet is much slower than my former Cox internet which can use a Motorola or Cisco Docsis 2 or 3 modem.

In addition, does anyone know if or how I upgrade the firmware on this device and if there are settings I can change to maximize my 12mbps U-Verse Internet?

I would also like to link my Netgear Router to it and if possible, use both the direct and wifi from the Netgear. I could use help in how to use my netgear and what settings I need to turn on or off on the 2WIRE and the Netgear. I have a Netgear WNR3500 and a Netgear WNDR 3300. Which one would be better?

If I cannot speed up my U-Verse Internet, can I use Cox with my Docsis 3 modem for my Internet and U-Verse for my TV?

Googling for 2WIRE 3801HGV-B shows that modem features:
Main Interfaces
  • VDSL2
  • Ethernet WAN
  • HomePNA 3.1
  • 4 Ethernet LAN Ports
  • HyperG 802.11b/g Wireless Access Point
  • 2 FXS (VoIP) Lines
so you alread support 4 wired connections + several more WiFi - - the extra router would not be necessary IMO.

However, you add an extra router, you would first disable DHCP in the new one
and then cable from a modem LAN slot to the router LAN slot and leave the router WAN empty.

Docsis 2/3 are for CABLE modems and you have a
"Very-high-speed digital subscriber line 2 (VDSL2) is an access technology that exploits the existing infrastructure of copper wires that were originally deployed for traditional telephone service. "

You were better off with the Cable connection.

I have had and continue to have fiber cable Internet service. U-verse has been using a router/modem 3800 and just sent me the newer 3801. It apparently will work on DSL or Cable so that is why I am looking to see if they upgraded the modem portion to Docsis 3 so I get the benefit of the 4 ip channels up and back rather than just one channel so although I see the point of your response, it does not apply to this 2wire 3801 HGV-B. I will say that even some U-verse techs had the same impression as you but when I asked for a replacement 2wire, they sent the 3801 and I called and read to confirm it runs cable as well and it is working right now to provide my ipTV signal and my Internet and VOIP phone service. So I still don't know the modem specs and these AT&T tech have never heard of Docsis. No big surprise.

I'll still insist that the 3801 is DSL as the U-Verse Internet says
There are four versions of AT&T High Speed DSL Internet plans, featuring a range of prices and speeds. If you're looking for an AT&T DSL Internet plan that is affordable, consider the Basic AT&T High Speed Internet Plan.
I would agree the
AT&T tech have never heard of Docsis. No big surprise.
as AT&T is not a Cable provider and thus Docsis2/3 don't apply.

You can prove to your self that you're on DSL; remove the RJ11 cable from the modem to the phone wall jack - - Internet access will die.

For Docsis to be in-use, you would need a coaxial cable like this
5RQuWx3AiXyT7W4TIANVD1-AjprFoXVRmCUnpO_BQ718QCBwIchSkCiPdHKkxCubCajN_Ec1aw-R99GpS1bH_GYGV_rB1mp6jRewKIgv2JxSmW-7aPq_d1j5JpAWew6FBFtdu-pjjXMGhxTnp97C8Sl3xPof5Ot6JRPDPf9CcWCiTb_YZEYb92g

Back