TechSpot

2WIRE 3801 HGV-B modem spec

By CotoWing
Nov 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Does anyone know if the 2WIRE 3801 HGV-B which is the latest model router/modem used by U-Verse uses a Docsis 2 or Docsis 3 modem? I cannot get an answer from anyone and the 2WIRE seems to be the reason that my U-Verse Internet is much slower than my former Cox internet which can use a Motorola or Cisco Docsis 2 or 3 modem.

In addition, does anyone know if or how I upgrade the firmware on this device and if there are settings I can change to maximize my 12mbps U-Verse Internet?

I would also like to link my Netgear Router to it and if possible, use both the direct and wifi from the Netgear. I could use help in how to use my netgear and what settings I need to turn on or off on the 2WIRE and the Netgear. I have a Netgear WNR3500 and a Netgear WNDR 3300. Which one would be better?

If I cannot speed up my U-Verse Internet, can I use Cox with my Docsis 3 modem for my Internet and U-Verse for my TV?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,516   +336

Googling for 2WIRE 3801HGV-B shows that modem features:
    Main Interfaces
    • VDSL2
    • Ethernet WAN
    • HomePNA 3.1
    • 4 Ethernet LAN Ports
    • HyperG 802.11b/g Wireless Access Point
    • 2 FXS (VoIP) Lines
    so you alread support 4 wired connections + several more WiFi - - the extra router would not be necessary IMO.

However, you add an extra router, you would first disable DHCP in the new one
    and then cable from a modem LAN slot to the router LAN slot and leave the router WAN empty.

Docsis 2/3 are for CABLE modems and you have a
    "Very-high-speed digital subscriber line 2 (VDSL2) is an access technology that exploits the existing infrastructure of copper wires that were originally deployed for traditional telephone service. "

You were better off with the Cable connection.

3. CotoWing

CotoWing TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have had and continue to have fiber cable Internet service. U-verse has been using a router/modem 3800 and just sent me the newer 3801. It apparently will work on DSL or Cable so that is why I am looking to see if they upgraded the modem portion to Docsis 3 so I get the benefit of the 4 ip channels up and back rather than just one channel so although I see the point of your response, it does not apply to this 2wire 3801 HGV-B. I will say that even some U-verse techs had the same impression as you but when I asked for a replacement 2wire, they sent the 3801 and I called and read to confirm it runs cable as well and it is working right now to provide my ipTV signal and my Internet and VOIP phone service. So I still don't know the modem specs and these AT&T tech have never heard of Docsis. No big surprise.

4. jobeard

I'll still insist that the 3801 is DSL as the U-Verse Internet says
    I would agree the
    as AT&T is not a Cable provider and thus Docsis2/3 don't apply.

You can prove to your self that you're on DSL; remove the RJ11 cable from the modem to the phone wall jack - - Internet access will die.

For Docsis to be in-use, you would need a coaxial cable like this
    [​IMG]

5. jobeard

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.