2wire wireless router/modem and Linksys WRT54GR

By orangeCat1
Jan 12, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Previously I had DSL modem connected to WRT54GR, and desktop hard wired to it. Also have a Dell laptop with wireless card connecting to router wirelessly. Desktop has no wireless card. (Computer room is on 2nd floor)

ISP provider has upgraded the modem to 2wire wireless router/modem. We did tests within the house and I have 6 Mb availability where line enters the house (basement), but only 4Mb
    because of older wiring in the house.

It was suggested that for max speed I could put the 2wire in basement, and connect to it wirelessly.Not a problem for the Dell.

My question: Is there a way to have the WRT54GR on 2nd floor and connect my Desktop to it hardwired, and communicate with the 2 wire wireless modem/router? Can this set up be used instead of putting a wireless card in my desktop?
    I have the WRT54GR (which has been relegated to storage because of the 2 wire
    upgrade).

Thanks.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.