TechSpot

2x Seagate HDD not working

By bj00uk
Mar 24, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, how is everyone?

I have a 2 external hard drives for data recovery

They both have dropped them both over the last 12 months.
    - 500GB Seagate (was inside a Lacie 3.5" external drive) suffers from a clicking noise (commonly known as 'click of death')
    - 1.5TB seagate (was inside a Maxtor 3.5" external drive) suffers from a beeping sort of noise

Neither is recognised by a computer externally or internally.

Now basically the person needs the data on it because for some reason he only kept a single copy of the files, or mutliple copies on the SAME hard drive. (some people just don't listen :mad:)

The person asked if I could swap the platters over to another HDD as suggested by someone he knows. This is where I come in, can anyone please help me with this maybe suggest any otherway to recover the data or help me advice me with swapping the platters between drives?

I have done some research I do know that;
    - I will need a dust free environment
    - and possibly a Static free enviornment (for safety)
    - make sure I do not get fingerprints on the platters

Will I need to have identical drives for me to do this?

I will be testing out on 2 used HDD's (from ebay) before I do it to the actual drives don't want to get told off or get into a fight :(

If nothing else, atleast I will have experience which I could note down for potential employers (after my degree) :D

Thanks & Regards

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.