TechSpot

3 Drives in Raid 0 = better than 2?

By dopefisher
Oct 23, 2008
  1. Right now I have 3 sata 2 drives setup in an "AMD 3 + 0" array in my Biostar TA790GX3 A2+. What I am wondering is is this setup performing better than 2 drives in a raid 0, or am I just wasting the extra drive. On an unrelated side note, my burst speed is around 320mb/s, and my sustained transfer rate is around 145mb/s using HD Tach 3.0.

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,333   +278

Well - is the drive size showing up as 3 times the size or 2? Also, did you mean 320mb or 320MB? There is a big difference - and if you meant 320mb then that's not very fast at all. If you meant 320MB and you are showing a size equal to the 3 drives combined then you are most likely getting the performance increase of RAID 0 with 3 spindles.

Just be aware that if any one of those drives dies all of your data is gone.

3. dopefisher

dopefisher TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 540

the size of the drives is 250gb x 3 = 750gb, so i am getting that, and i meant whatever mb or MB is equal or greater to the best SCSI burst rate.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.