3 sata hd's, 2 ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just bought a 400gb seagate NL35.1 sata hd to complement my 2 120gb seagate sata v hd's. i would like to know if there is any reason why i shouldn't hot swap one with another right there amongst all the guts of my machine, without using a drive bay.

ideally, i will have a 120gb hd that i will store rarely accessed data on and plug it in only occasionally (will sit in a desk drawer, otherwise). from my research, i believe that i will have to disable the hd i am removing via the device manager, but i have no problem with doing that, because it won't be often.

after several hrs of google searches, i think i know the answer, but only by inference. can somebody please verify this for me?
-------------------------------
also, if i was to buy an internal drive bay that holds 3 sata hd's, could i run all 3 with my sil3112 controller, even though it has just 2 ports? i think i recall reading that there are drive bays out there that would allow this. but maybe the contoller will not? i don't know enough about that, for it is not what i want to do, yet.

windows xp pro
ga-8inxp mobo
radeon 9800 pro 128mb

thanks for your help.

eusair

Hotswap has to be supported by your SATA controller, by your SATA drivers and by your SATA drives. If any of these is NHP (non-hot-plug) then you risk serious data loss and/or hardware damage when you go shuffling the drives around.

An external USB-SATA enclosure would be much more useful and convenient.

Nodsu said:
Hotswap has to be supported by your SATA controller, by your SATA drivers and by your SATA drives. If any of these is NHP (non-hot-plug) then you risk serious data loss and/or hardware damage when you go shuffling the drives around.

but i CAN do it under the right circumstances? it is my understanding that ALL sata hd's are hot-swappable. regardless, i know that mine are. my sil3112 r2 supports it too, hence the drivers do as well. is there something special about those enclosures that make them a necessity? as far as i can tell, there is not.

Nodsu said:
An external USB-SATA enclosure would be much more useful and convenient.

i agree, however, i'd rather not spend the money at this time. after looking around, i have decided that i would rather wait until i can make use of a 3-in-2 internal drive bay. but that would require me to have a 3rd sata port and i haven't decided yet how i intend to get it (new mobo, pci card, etc)

thanks for your time.

eusair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back