$30 movie rentals coming to DirecTV later this week

Emil

Staff

As expected, DirecTV has announced Home Premiere, a new rental services for its 6 million HD DVR customers. Home Premiere offers movies for rent about 60 days after their theatrical release at a price of $30. The premium VOD window is only two weeks, and the the satellite TV firm will start promoting titles about a week before their launch.

DirecTV's premium VOD service is the first to offer early-release movies under a new test plan by Hollywood. On Thursday, the satellite TV giant will launch its early release offering of films in partnership with the four big studios: Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Universal Pictures, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, and 20th Century Fox. Here are the official details:

• Home Premiere movies are new movie releases available exclusively on DirecTV Cinema months before they're available on Netflix, and even before they're available on DVD or Blu-ray.
  • A Home Premiere movie costs $29.99. With Home Premiere movies, you have the convenience of being able to enjoy the latest releases in the comfort of your living room. You also have the freedom to watch them as many times as you would like within a 48-hour rental period. Hence, they cost more than a typical DirecTV Cinema movie.
  • All Home Premiere movies are in 1080p HD.
  • To view Home Premiere movies, you must have an HD DVR receiver, and your HDTV must be connected to the receiver with an HDMI cable.
  • To order a Home Premiere title, go to Channel 1100 on your TV and select the Home Premiere category to see a list of available titles. If the title you want to watch has a green check mark next to it, it's ready to watch instantly. Just select it to start watching. If it does not have a green check mark, you can add it to your queue and it will be ready to watch as soon as it is available. You will not be charged until you begin watching.

Studios decide which titles become available to DirecTV and when exactly. The first offering is the movie Just Go With It, which became available for pre-order this morning. Also debuting over the rest of April and May will be The Adjustment Bureau, Cedar Rapids, and Hall Pass. Once bought, customers can view a title for up to 48 hours, which is twice as long as regular pay-per-view movie. Within that time frame, titles can be viewed multiple times.

Hollywood believes the offering appeals to families most. Apparently, they will calculate the costs of paying for movie tickets for everyone in the household, possibly the need for hiring a babysitter, and the savings thanks to not purchasing concessions. I cannot see my family ever paying that much, but this may be targeted at those groups that don't include at least one geek member.

Permalink to story.

screw that!!! I will wait another 2 or so months and buy the damn blu-ray, heck even the special addition with the dvd and digital download for less than that.

BTW, give me some of what they are smoking because it sounds really good ;-)

Omg, you must be stupid or a movie addict if you're willing to pay 30 BUCKS for a movie you can't OWN. I understand it's coming out early after being in theaters, but if I waited 2 months i can surely wait another 2 and buy the blu ray for that price. If this was the same price as in the theaters then I might of confider it. Screw you Hollywood.

"Mom can we go see Rio?"
"June 19th"
"Mom can we go see Rio?"
"June 19th"
"Mom can we go see Rio?"
"June 19th"
"I hate you I'm getting a tattoo...er...piercing...er....putting out a sex tape....er...joining the (Tea Party/Democrats/Republicans!)"

(Ok, I admit, I'm not sure what it takes these days to actually shock your parents.)

Guest said:
Omg, you must be stupid or a movie addict if you're willing to pay 30 BUCKS for a movie you can't OWN. I understand it's coming out early after being in theaters, but if I waited 2 months i can surely wait another 2 and buy the blu ray for that price. If this was the same price as in the theaters then I might of confider it. Screw you Hollywood.
Arguably, you could say the same thing for buying movie tickets to go see a movie in the theaters. You figure a family of four (parents and two children), at your average matinee price costs around $30 to get in the theatre, and then you take into consideration the atrocious prices for concessions. You've easily spent $50-$60 to take four people to see a movie (and feed them in many cases), to watch something you can't OWN either, at least not for a few months. Science forbid you want to see it in 3D or IMAX, which increases the price of admission.

In a lesser case, they don't have to deal with keeping a physical copy of the movie either. I don't know how many hundreds of DVDs we have between myself, my siblings, and my parents have of DVDs that we haven't watched more than once or twice, and they take up a lot of space. Sounds like we as a family need to have a DVD garage sale. =p

I agree with Emil, This kind of thing sounds great for families. They can watch a new movie in the comfort of their home, spend significantly less for snacks, pause and come back to it later (Within 48 hours) if there is a distraction or something comes up, etc. Would I do it if I were a DirecTV customer? probably not. I do not often go to the movies or crave to watch something new; I'm more than happy to wait for the DVD/BD.

@madboyv1 - But going to the movies you get to see it on the nice big screen with a very nice sound systems. Even with my 55" HDTV and decent surround sound it just doesn't compare to going to the movies. And concessions can easily be skipped (or just sneak some stuff in :p).

When first reading the headline I thought $30 would get you call you could watch for a month or some sort of plan like that - not $30 per flick. Just too rich for my taste.

I can see this backfiring a bit lol. If someone decides to rip it from dishnet, we'll be seeing this movies online for pirating. Most computer savvy people will definitely pirate it instead of paying a ridiculous pricey 30 bucks.

Thirty bucks to download and rent a movie for 60 days? Why don't I just give Hollywood the numbers to my bank account? It would save them a lot of trouble. Or wait, I could just download it from pirate bay for free. Now let's see. Pay $30 per movie and not even own it. Or pirate it for free and have a copy of it. Which one do I really want to do?

Guest said:
Thirty bucks to download and rent a movie for 60 days? Why don't I just give Hollywood the numbers to my bank account? It would save them a lot of trouble. Or wait, I could just download it from pirate bay for free. Now let's see. Pay $30 per movie and not even own it. Or pirate it for free and have a copy of it. Which one do I really want to do?

The former, because, you know, that's stealing. And good people don't steal.

No, but seriously though... After reading this article, I, inadvertently, started picturing the process behind this ridiculous "premier" service. It's like, it's not even worth it to hold a MA/MBA in business, marketing, product development or simply any R&D business-related field; these companies simply hire equally *****ic and equally greedy bastards, that will never stop and think about the consumer instead of their image and how to rob you with your "consent," if you know what I mean. It's the sad, sad, reality of the American "competition."

WTF it costs less to go to the movie and get food at the movie.

This is going to fail horribly. I can see above the case of it is cheaper for a family of four to go about it this way. But if you already waited 60 days for a movie to come out you can wait however many more.

Universal talked about how there dvd sales didn't change after the netflix deal(making netflix wait 24 days after release).

I mean how ****ing good does a movie have to be for someone to pay $30 for it when netflix costs $8.99 for streams. I am a huge netflix power user probably watching like 4 to 5 things a week. If I watch 16 movies a month at 9 dollars why would I watch a movie for $30 .

I think the movie industry tricks a lot of people into thinking there products are way better than they really are. Including themselves.

/rant

to many thoughts of how ridiculous this is to make it organized at all.

One more thing when you buy a failing company like blockbuster you don't hire there think tank and ask them for ideas. That is the only way I can see that dish came up with this.

Also you don't get the movie for 60 days you get it for 48 hours. It comes out 60 days after release.

No, but seriously though... After reading this article, I, inadvertently, started picturing the process behind this ridiculous "premier" service. It's like, it's not even worth it to hold a MA/MBA in business, marketing, product development or simply any R&D business-related field; these companies simply hire equally *****ic and equally greedy bastards, that will never stop and think about the consumer instead of their image and how to rob you with your "consent," if you know what I mean. It's the sad, sad, reality of the American "competition."
I applaud your altruism, however spawning avaricious schemes like this is exactly what they teach you in MBA courses. If you want a more noble pursuit, perhaps you should consider political science as a major. After all, the worst thing they teach you there, is how to take a bold faced lie, sprinkle in the tiniest grain of truth, and rename it B***S***. After all, we, as Americans, must have a good education if we are to compete on the world stage.

As an example for me, P-R-E-M-I-E-R is spelled R-E-D-B-O-X...! Taht's my story, and I'm sticking to it....:rolleyes:

Good luck for them. Much much much cheaper online services went broke, but definitely a stupid 30$ movie rental service will survive. I am waiting for the first figures how many people buying pass...

I think 30$ and a forever possibility to rewatch movie anytime could(!) survive.

Much cheaper to go to cinemas and enjoy the 200"+ screen with a sound system you can never have at home and you dont even have to wait.

This service most likely will not appeal to mainstream society. This seems like it is more geared to people who have a very nice home theater system and can afford the extra things in life (unless you invite the neighborhood in and split the costs). Most people will simply either see it in the movie theater to begin with or wait until it's released on DVD, BluRay, streaming, etc.

Sweet!! I love that we can download 1080P earlier now for FREE :) Seriously...If this was released a week after a theater it might be worth the price.....but 60 days later..come on..... Only people buying at that price are people with money to burn and whinny kids. 60 days later this is considered a old movie..U might as well wait 2 more months or less and spend $1.00 or two for the dvd or blueray...LOL

This is strupid. 60 days after their theatrical release at a price of $30

People will upload it to TPB and such! have they lost the plot?

Leftover April fools joke?

The cable and dish networks are burying themselves with their stupid and tier pricing structures.

I'm old enough to remember the promise of no commercals if you only pay a nominal fee. Look at it now.

Their demise can't be soon enough for me.

This is impractical but then again its practical. a normal movie ticket where im from is 9.50 then gas there an back add 10 thats 20 bucks if i take a date thats 30 bucks right there. so i mean if you have some friends over or family say hey toss me a few bucks an well watch a movie thats in theaters. good idea but still i think it should go down to 20 an id be more willing. but hey now wont everyone record there movies they buy? i sure will :)

Back