TechSpot

30 percent of smartphone users will encounter malware this year

By Shawn Knight
Aug 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Smartphone users, in particular Android OS users are becoming key targets for malware authors, according to mobile security firm Lookout. Highlights of their new report suggest that Android users areā€¦

Read the whole story

2. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

I wonder if this is lower for Apple's iPhone? With the new one coming out soon I may consider jumping boat on Android... I've rooted my Android and had my fun with it....this is after jailbreaking the Apple iPhone 3G, which was pretty nice, and had TERRIFIC GPS location service, that still my Andoid phone cant seem to get right. This was a big feature for me as I traveled a lot for work... good thing I remember the routes my iPhone taught me before I got my new phone... or I'd have been **** out of luck with Android trying to tell me where I was. This may have been exclusively a problem with the Samsung Captivate, I'm not sure.

3. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

I dont blame you, i jumped boat to windows.

Something about having a tegra 2 processor, and still having slow downs due to too many open apps got to me. I like my Windows Phone, It suits the simplicity i need to function at work.

4. Why I never heard of anyone going to jail because of making a virus?, I think it is just to much.

5. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

dont most viruses invade people privacy?

nuff said, right?

6. Panda218

Panda218 TS Enthusiast Posts: 101   +16

I currently use an Evo for personal use and an iPhone4 for work. When I have to go somewhere I dock my Evo and let it tell me where to go, instead of watching a blue dot move down a street on my iphone... I'm guessing the GPS issues you were having were either the ROM you were running or just a shitty phone..

I'm not sold on Android, but I do prefer it over all the other devices out there. That could easily change with the new WP7.5 phones ^^

7. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 952   +112

are there any good security suites for mobile phones? I've heard there were some AV's but nothing about a firewall or the other stuff. The only AV's I remember were on android , anyone know if WP7 or iPhone have an AV/security suite?

8. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 411   +106

I've yet to own a "smartphone" and this is becoming one of the main reasons I probably won't. I suppose it's a good time to be a WP7 smartphone owner though. They may not experience malware to the degree of Android for quite some time.

9. Sweet, Linux is just like Windows now. If only Linux users would kill themselves over this.

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,804   +916

Yo...! You're simply not paying attention. No product or OS by Apple is susceptible to any kind of malware infection, period. Why, Steve Jobs came to me in a vision just last night, and told me that himself.

11. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

Nope.jpeg

12. "Sweet, Linux is just like Windows now. If only Linux users would kill themselves over this."

methinks the poster of this doesn't understand what android is.

android is in effect a suite of applications running on top of the linux system. the above aren't holes in linux - the linux system of security is hard as nails and hasn't been compromised in any of the above. the above *are* flaws in what software can run on top of the android application stack ... this application, naturally, is allowed to make calls, SMS etc... that's the job of a smartphone... it's not a hole in the security of the android stack - it's just running an app which is authorised to do whatever it is doing.

the problem lies in *what* you choose to install, and whether those things you install are good or bad.

these security holes are no different than any O/S user downloading and installing some random application which you then authorise the installation of... e.g. you could apply the same technique to any o/s.

now, i'm not saying this is good... but the issue here is with the ability to easily fool a user into installing something malicious. the only way around this is to have a "walled garden" like iOS, whereby a user can only install from one location - and that location is vetted before an app is made available.

i say that as an android user, but i think the iOS and WinPhone approaches are far more secure.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.