TechSpot

30 Years of First Person Shooters

By TomSEA
Jan 31, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

Ahh i like :D

I've never really been an "FPS'er" as such...But I'll always hold a soft spot for the original Red Faction and original Timesplitters.

2. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet TS Rookie Posts: 115

Ahhh, that's a great video. Damn it! I'm getting old.

3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

Dumb question,
    I never really paid any attention to games until I started building gaming systems a few years ago. Is it widely accepted that Half-Life is the greatest FPS of all time?

4. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet TS Rookie Posts: 115

It's right up there for sure. It was ground breaking for it's time.

5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,355   +402

I think you'd have a fair argument that Half-Life series is the greatest FPS. As CamaroMullet pointed out, it was insanely ground-breaking and Half-Life 2 even more so.

Having said that, I'm not sure I would vote for it as #1. Personally I felt that BF1942 with its online co-op broke huge grounds of playability and has had the greatest influence on PC gaming in the last decade. We've seen how many clones have come as a result of that game. I mean dozens, many of which have had some of the largest game sales figures (in the billions of dollars) in PC gaming history.

6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,332   +277

I'd say Doom(s) and Quake(s) had the most influence on the genre as a whole.

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Mein Leiben!

8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,332   +277

Okay - I'll throw Wolfenstein in there too - but I don't think that had quite as big an impact, it was just earlier than the other ones.

9. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

10. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

Doom -> BF:BC2, hardly any graphical differences :p
    I remember playing Quake2 against my bosses as a christmas treat in my first job after uni. OOOOOOOOOOLD :S

11. teklord

teklord TS Maniac Posts: 527

Many of those games don't fit the notion of what an FPS is, especially the pre-90's games, but cool vid. BFBC2 is probably my fave, MW not far behind. I've played most of those games from Wolfenstein to BFBC2.

12. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

awesome, missed a bunch but still good...

13. pznoy22

pznoy22 TS Rookie

I was a big Half Life then Counter-Strike player but out of all the versions of Counter-Strike, which ones did you prefer?

My all-time favorite was definitely 1.3 :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.