30 Years of First Person Shooters

Jan 31, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Ahh i like :D

I've never really been an "FPS'er" as such...But I'll always hold a soft spot for the original Red Faction and original Timesplitters.
  2. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet TS Rookie Posts: 93

Ahhh, that's a great video. Damn it! I'm getting old.
  3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Dumb question,
    I never really paid any attention to games until I started building gaming systems a few years ago. Is it widely accepted that Half-Life is the greatest FPS of all time?
  4. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet TS Rookie Posts: 93

It's right up there for sure. It was ground breaking for it's time.
  5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,550   +594

I think you'd have a fair argument that Half-Life series is the greatest FPS. As CamaroMullet pointed out, it was insanely ground-breaking and Half-Life 2 even more so.

Having said that, I'm not sure I would vote for it as #1. Personally I felt that BF1942 with its online co-op broke huge grounds of playability and has had the greatest influence on PC gaming in the last decade. We've seen how many clones have come as a result of that game. I mean dozens, many of which have had some of the largest game sales figures (in the billions of dollars) in PC gaming history.
  6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

I'd say Doom(s) and Quake(s) had the most influence on the genre as a whole.
  7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Mein Leiben!
  8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Okay - I'll throw Wolfenstein in there too - but I don't think that had quite as big an impact, it was just earlier than the other ones.
  9. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

10. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

Doom -> BF:BC2, hardly any graphical differences :p
    I remember playing Quake2 against my bosses as a christmas treat in my first job after uni. OOOOOOOOOOLD :S
  11. teklord

teklord TS Guru Posts: 481

Many of those games don't fit the notion of what an FPS is, especially the pre-90's games, but cool vid. BFBC2 is probably my fave, MW not far behind. I've played most of those games from Wolfenstein to BFBC2.
  12. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

awesome, missed a bunch but still good...
  13. pznoy22

pznoy22 TS Rookie

I was a big Half Life then Counter-Strike player but out of all the versions of Counter-Strike, which ones did you prefer?

My all-time favorite was definitely 1.3 :)