30 Years of First Person Shooters

Ahh i like :D

I've never really been an "FPS'er" as such...But I'll always hold a soft spot for the original Red Faction and original Timesplitters.

Dumb question,
I never really paid any attention to games until I started building gaming systems a few years ago. Is it widely accepted that Half-Life is the greatest FPS of all time?

Dumb question,
I never really paid any attention to games until I started building gaming systems a few years ago. Is it widely accepted that Half-Life is the greatest FPS of all time?

It's right up there for sure. It was ground breaking for it's time.

I think you'd have a fair argument that Half-Life series is the greatest FPS. As CamaroMullet pointed out, it was insanely ground-breaking and Half-Life 2 even more so.

Having said that, I'm not sure I would vote for it as #1. Personally I felt that BF1942 with its online co-op broke huge grounds of playability and has had the greatest influence on PC gaming in the last decade. We've seen how many clones have come as a result of that game. I mean dozens, many of which have had some of the largest game sales figures (in the billions of dollars) in PC gaming history.

I'd say Doom(s) and Quake(s) had the most influence on the genre as a whole.

Okay - I'll throw Wolfenstein in there too - but I don't think that had quite as big an impact, it was just earlier than the other ones.

Doom -> BF:BC2, hardly any graphical differences :p
I remember playing Quake2 against my bosses as a christmas treat in my first job after uni. OOOOOOOOOOLD :S

Many of those games don't fit the notion of what an FPS is, especially the pre-90's games, but cool vid. BFBC2 is probably my fave, MW not far behind. I've played most of those games from Wolfenstein to BFBC2.

I was a big Half Life then Counter-Strike player but out of all the versions of Counter-Strike, which ones did you prefer?

My all-time favorite was definitely 1.3 :)

Back