32 bit apps on Vista 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopdog

I´ve read the "Choosing the right one" Vista guide, and it has a lot of information. But I still have a simple question:
How will my 32 bit applications run on Vista 64? I know they are compatible, but will they run slower or faster than on Vista 32?
My system will be a Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4 with 4 gb ram.

i think that some programs will work ok on a 64 bit OS but things like anti virus etc you should try and get a 64 bit version if you can

They run at the same speed.

Only ones that install some drivers (like antivirus / firewall applications) require a 64-bit version to work.

Firewall

Thanks, can you recommend any good firewall for Vista x64? Or is the Windows firewall good enough?

I know only of one 3rd party firewall for Vista x64, Agnitum Outpost Pro 2008. I tried the demo and uninstalled it quite quickly, didn't like it.

For me, Vista's own firewall is good enough, but I've disabled unnecessary services, disabled file and printer sharing etc., and my ADSL modem has a firewall as well.

There's also Vista Firewall Control, but I haven't tried it.

i have vista x86 and only use its built in firewall

as long as you have anti virus and anti spyware software then you should be ok :)

Vista's built in firewall is quite granular - I think you'd be surprised if not overwhelmed. Keep in mind to gain full control over the firewall you'll have to open the mmc snap-in.

yep i have home premium 64 bit and the firewall has passed every test ive thrown at it , it goes well with NOD32 if your interested , the firewall is also very configarable (is that a word??) but not too user friendly (you have to find it first ;0) )

Yes, I love NOD32, it detects most new viruses and doesn´t use to much memory. What version would be compatible with Vista x64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back