TechSpot

32-bit disc and a 64-bit key?

By steelth
Nov 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I was wondering if a 32 bit xp disk will work with a 64 bit xp key . I have a comp. that has no OS but has a key and I have a disk but it is a 32 bit disk. thx

2. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,281   +157

Probably not.

Why not just download an iso of xp 64 and use your original key?

3. steelth

steelth TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 162

Ah , well , I didn't know you could do that or how to do that , I guess.

4. steelth

Sorry for being such a noob but what is an isoand where do I DL it . lol, thx for the help

5. fimbles

U torrent guide:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how to use utorrent&oq=how to use utorrent&gs_l=youtube-reduced.3..0l4.1125.5115.0.5347.19.16.0.3.3.0.244.2233.3j12j1.16.0...0.0...1ac.1.TOrgDkmkKDY

An iso is a exact copy of a disc that can be burned to a dvd, you can propably find one on the net if you search for " windows xp x64 torrent" or iso, and download it using utorrent then burn it to a dvdusing a burning program like imgburn. (free and easy to use)

http://www.imgburn.com/

Im pretty sure there is nothng illegal about this providing you use your original license key.

It can also be beneficial to use an ISO version as OEM manufacturers install a lot of bloatware on included versions, like, norton antivirus trials, ect.. An iso will only install windows.

6. steelth

Ok, I got Utorrent and Downloaded http://kat.ph/windows-xp-home-edition-sp2-t3320401.html ... and put it in a file,so do I burn all of that on a disk and use it as a install disk or do I have to do more to it to make it work?Now that I look at it ,,it doesn't say 32 bit or 64 bit "sigh" Also when I go to my Utorrent file where I put the windows ,ImgBurn doesn't show anything there but it is there.

7. fimbles

Yes, just burn the iso image to a disk and install as normal.

8. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 134   +27

9. steelth

Only 1 has a seed and it say's language is french ,,? I burnt the other 1 to a disk and u maybe right about it being a 32 bit. maybe I'll look for another site or something

10. steelth

Bad News I tryed that Disc I brunt, and it worked I even activated the windows, but then I tryed to update and couldn't I could open explorer to msn and then tried to go places and it would just take me back to msn ...Sigh,, no luv for me I guess

11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,980   +957

Install a different browser, maybe?

Windows update won't work without the "WGA" (Windows Genuine Advantage) testing the install, and verifying it's a valid copy of Windows.

NTAPRO likes this.

12. steelth

Ok, thx, I guess I'll just have to break down and buy another copy ,, since no one I know has 1 ,getting the iso is cool but if it's not a plain copy then I guess it won't for me. Since I need it to be able to update. Thx for all your help

13. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 134   +27

The iso copy should work, I've done this once or twice - WGA should be happy as long as the licence on your PC is valid? The problem does sound like a dodgy browser (agree with Captain Cranky) or hosts file, although I don't see how on a fresh install?!, try Chrome or Firefox, costs nothing but ten minutes?

14. steelth

My problem isn't the brower that bothers me I'm sure I could get around that some how "even though it shows some weird facebook link when I try to go anywhere'.It's the fact that I can't use windows update, that bothers me, I mean if I want to give this to a kid to use for school, it won't be able to update any . Unless they manually do it, off another comp.

15. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

Odd you should have problems immediately after the install/activation. But in any case
    1) Reset IE http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
    2) Try going to Windows Update by clicking Programs. Windows Update should be one of the first program option.

16. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,851

Do you still need a clean 32bit ISO? I have one from my MSDN License I would be happy to drop in a public dropbox link for you....

This would be a retail ISO, so as long as your key is not an OEM license it would work fine.

17. steelth

That sounds good, thx alot but I also need a 64 bit too.The iso I download and installed that was acting weird, shows up on my Malwarebytes as a virus :( . I knew I should of scanned it a head of time o well.thx for the help

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.