32 bit on 64 bit processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonylukac

I'm building a computer with an asus p5kpl-cm motherboard and an intel pentium dual core processor e5200 socket lga775. Is it true that I can simply install and run a 32 bit windows vista on this 64 bit capable processor and motherboard without changing any keywords? Something I found on an intel blog says it detects this automatically. If I must change a keyword (in the bios, etc.), which one? Thanks.

Yes you can run 32Bit software on 64Bit Architecture

Bios just needs to be set to defaults, if any issue arises

Thank you

Thank you very much for the quick response. Want to use 32 bit windows because much still isnt compatible with 64 bit.

32 Bit Xp is preferred over 64 Bit Xp
But
64 Bit Vista is preferred over 32 Bit Vista

ie I would have gone 64Bit Vista

Yeah, I agree with Kimsland. 64-bit Vista is quite excellent. Probably the best Windows you can get right now, in my opinion anyway. I mean, XP 32 is good, but it has the pesky RAM limit, the lack of DX10, and support ends in April 2009 (unless it got extended?).

32 Bit Xp is preferred over 64 Bit Xp
But
64 Bit Vista is preferred over 32 Bit Vista

ie I would have gone 64Bit Vista

i second this.

if you plan on having that computer for a lil while. the 32bit os will bite you in the *** in a few years perhaps. with the ram limitations.

However 64bit systems have compatibility issues with some programs so this would only make it ideal for some people and annoying for others such as gamers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

the only problem i encountered was when vista first came out, and some of the more java/flash rich websites didnt or could not display correctly.

There are a few problems around, yes. Some older games don't work too well on 64 bit, although from what I've seen, its actually usually just the installer for the game that doesn't work. Aka, you can install the game on a 32 bit OS, then copy the game folder over to the 64 bit machine and it works.

Other than that, I haven't run into anything that works on XP 32 that doesn't work on Vista 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back