33.3k WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesPromIII

I just noticed something disturbing, I was on my laptop using another connection and it says it connects at 48.8k when I went to my desktop and signed on the highest I can get to is 33.3 why is this? My modem is a PCTEL Platinum V.90, if i'm going to use dialup I want it to be at least the best it can be and another thing i'm talking about the same service on the same account (Juno).

I just noticed something disturbing, I was on my laptop using another connection and it says it connects at 48.8k when I went to my desktop and signed on the highest I can get to is 33.3 why is this? My modem is a PCTEL Platinum V.90, if i'm going to use dialup I want it to be at least the best it can be and another thing i'm talking about the same service on the same account (Juno).

The voice portion of a phone line is VERY limiting. I'd be surprised if you ACTUALLY were getting 33.3.....

Try and find the latest drivers for your dial up modem. I've seen this happen before, sometimes a different (usually newer is better) driver for the specific modem will help with connection speeds.

When I was on dial-up, I would have loved 33.3K. I was paying for 56K but average speeds shown were 21.2-24.7K. Download speeds were 1.2-1.9K

Dialup? OUCH!
I haven't used a modem to dialup hmmmmm in 12 years or so, no LAN line for about 6 years.
Line quality varies greatly, get broadband if possible.

No need to pester the user about getting broadband, as hard as it is for a lot of you to believe, there are still places in the US where broadband is not available. Satellite sure, but latency is terrible, speeds suck, and prices are outrageous.

My parents live 6 miles outside a town of 2000. I wouldn't be surprised if it took another 10 years before they get it, and even at that point, what would it be? DSL needs a box within what 5km? Cable companies sure as hell aren't going to run a line 6 miles outside of a small town to feed the maybe 30 people that live between my parent's house and town. It will take a new technology for broadband before my parents get it.

I still occasionally use a dial-up connection. It is in the sole instance in which I am in a hotel that does not offer some form of broadband connection or it is not working. I have also used as a back up when the cable connection is down. Both are rare events these days, but still happen. Of course, the most that I will do in those situations is check email, for the most part.

I use Dial Up at home. I can't afford Cable and AT$T don't offer DSL out my house.

I usually get approximately 44.2k, while my DL speed is actually 2.5-5.0k.

I know that my modem sucks, too, though, and my drivers aren't the best, so I'd say if I got a better modem, I may get the reported 48k from my neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back