360 wireless controller to Win 7 question

Buckshot420

UPDATE: I just got the $9 wireless adapter and I must say it works perfect. Driver needs to be installed manually and was detected by Win 7 Pro 64. Playing Saints Row is MUCH better now and kinda nice for Skyrim also..

Has anyone had a successful install of a 360 wireless controller with a plug and play kit to a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system? I installed the MS 64 bit accessory kit download and windows detects the controller but when I try to use it in Saints Row it doesn't work. It does however turn my 360 on from the other room. Is there an easy way to test the controller? I read you have to “Disable Driver Signature Enforcement” in the advanced boot options but when I press F8 it takes me to the ASUS BIOS. I poked around and saw nothing under the boot options area. I also read that you can not Disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Win 7 but that was on a forum not from MS. Do I need to virtually use XP so I can disable driver signatures? Please help, this is driving me crazy that MS would make it anything other than Plug and Play.

SOLVED:
you can not use a 360 "plug and play" adaptor with a PC. PC will recognize it as a charging device and not a controller. You must have either
A) Wired 360 Controller
B) A Wireless 360 controller with USB wireless PC adaptor.

"I am sorry to say that the plug-n-play kit doesn't allow the controller to connect to a PC. I have tried this numerous times and looked at numerous forums. You either need a wireless usb adapter to catch the wireless signal from the controller, or you need a wired controller. the plug-n-play sends a charge through to the computer and therefore it can recognize the controller, but the cord doesn't send "game control signals" through it. you will need to use one of the above methods. i think im going to buy a wired controller myself, because it will also work with the 360 so it will get two uses. hope this helps."

I ended up bypassing the trauma and bought one of these for $9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-360-Wi...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item1e622e1e0b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Wireless...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item2a17d00660

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Gaming-...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item20bd894a25

It's plug'n'play, from what I've heard. Does it show up in Control Panel > Hardware & sound > devices & printers?

If not there, in device manager?

The drivers are either automatically installed upon plug in, or you may need to run windows update with it plugged in. Do not use the Xbox button while in this mode, to be sure.

Had this issue myself, was sad I couldn't use it and just bought myself a wired controller.

SOLVED:
you can not use a 360 "plug and play" adaptor with a PC. PC will recognize it as a charging device and not a controller. You must have either
A) Wired 360 Controller
B) A Wireless 360 controller with one of these.

Incorrect. I'm pretty sure it's even advertised somewhere officially that you can grab a plug'n'play and connect to PC.

Heck, I have the wireless adapter (your B), and I bought a play'n'charge kit. As soon as I plug it in, it is recognised (doesn't connect via wireless module).

Incorrect. I'm pretty sure it's even advertised somewhere officially that you can grab a plug'n'play and connect to PC.

Heck, I have the wireless adapter (your B), and I bought a play'n'charge kit. As soon as I plug it in, it is recognised (doesn't connect via wireless module).

Do you have a link to this somewhere? I tried forever to get my 'play and charge kit' to work on Windows 7 to no avail and found out on the 360 forums that what is provided from Microsoft is only used for charging and a receiver would still be needed to communicate. I did read a post that said their is a special cable that does both but nothing more was elaborated upon.

Play'n'charge kit basically turns it into a wired controller, even on the xbox console. I bought 'xbox wireless controller with wireless PC receiver', like in the above link. It came as a pack. I also bought a normal xbox play/n/charge.

Give me a sec, I will update this post with screenshots, and perhaps download links if I find it.

I need to help you guys, the xbox controller is amazing, most post-xbox controller-compatible games automatically change to console controls, since everything is a console port anyway. :p

Play'n'charge kit basically turns it into a wired controller, even on the xbox console. I bought 'xbox wireless controller with wireless PC receiver', like in the above link. It came as a pack. I also bought a normal xbox play/n/charge.

Give me a sec, I will update this post with screenshots, and perhaps download links if I find it.

I need to help you guys, the xbox controller is amazing, most post-xbox controller-compatible games automatically change to console controls, since everything is a console port anyway. :p
Please help. This is what I found.

"I am sorry to say that the plug-n-play kit doesn't allow the controller to connect to a PC. I have tried this numerous times and looked at numerous forums. You either need a wireless usb adapter to catch the wireless signal from the controller, or you need a wired controller. the plug-n-play sends a charge through to the computer and therefore it can recognize the controller, but the cord doesn't send "game control signals" through it. you will need to use one of the above methods. i think im going to buy a wired controller myself, because it will also work with the 360 so it will get two uses. hope this helps."

I ended up bypassing the trauma and bought this for $9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300651323364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Ok, I apologise folks. I don't have any evidence to disprove Buckshot's claim that it only charges.

I plugged it into my laptop which has never seen an xbox accessory.. and it installed the driver fine. But that was purely to charge.

I swear I saw multiple people saying "just grab friends play'n'charge, plug it into PC, and test it out before buying one" etc. Lots of research was done before finding and buying wireless kit.

The driver for the actual controller doesn't exist. Only the driver for play'n'charge cable, and the wireless USB adapter. To be honest, the <$10 linked above.. is a good price.

Sorry I can't help further. Will post back if I find anything else..

No problem Stick, I tried myself forever to get it my 'play & charge' controller to work as I remember others saying it does but never succeeded. Guess it's just one of those things people assume works.

I just got the $9 wireless adapter and I must say it works perfect. Driver needs to be installed manually and was detected by Win 7 Pro 64. Playing Saints Row is MUCH better now and kinda nice for Skyrim also..

Back