3Com puts firewall on an NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

3Com puts firewall on an NIC
17:01 Thursday 25th April 2002
Peter Judge

Firewalls built into network interface cards help offload work from the processors of desktop PCs, and aid centralised security
3Com has launched a network interface card (NIC) with a firewall in firmware, to minimise risks and enforce security policies inside the enterprise. The NIC is intended for desktops and servers.

Embedded Firewall is a firmware version of Secure Computing's firewall, and loads onto the 3CR990 -- a 3Com NIC that includes a processor and memory intended to support extra applications. So far the 3CR990 has been sold with an encryption application, which offloads encryption tasks from the host CPU, but the firewall is the next security application in a list which 3Com intends to add.

The product is aimed at enterprises, to provide centralised control over security. All the secure NICs in a company are managed by a central policy server, which configures them and sets up access rights. Communication with the policy server is encrypted. One policy server supports up to 1000 NICs.

The device also makes it harder to misuse corporate equipment by plugging it in in the wrong place. Once set up, the desktop will only be able to talk to the specified network device until the firewall is re-installed.

Although Intel also has a NIC that does encryption-offload, 3Com business development manger, James Walker said that the 3CR990 is the first to include a firewall. The NIC costs $120 list price, and the embedded firewall is another $50 for each client. The policy server costs $1000.

3Com is working on a Gigabit Ethernet version of the secure NIC, and also announced plans to bring the embedded firewall to notebook PCs, and delivered a fibre-connected version of the secure NIC, the 3CR990-FX-97.

source: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2109150,00.html

i hope 3com knows what they're doing... An incredibly extensive firmware line will have to be released for these cards. Personally, i doubt i would benefit from this technology as i have a router. Im sure there will be problems if both the router and the nic have a firewall. Lastly, this will be a software firewall (if im not mistaken from what i read) and there is no question that i'd choose a hardware firewall over a software one. The idea is good, but they probably need to strengthen the security in the operating system rather than in the nic. The price of some of the equipment is also a little steep for those who are looking to use it in a home network rather than in a corporation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back