3D films boost box-office revenue despite drop in attendance

Shawn Knight

Staff member

North American movie attendance is down for the fourth consecutive summer, causing distress within Hollywood and publicly traded theater chains. Tallied from the first weekend in May to Labor Day, this year’s attendance is the lowest since the summer of 1997, reports the New York Times.

The good news for movie studios is that box-office revenue is projected to total $4.38 billion according to Hollywood.com, which compiles ticket data. Revenue increased less than one percent from the previous year thanks to higher ticket prices generated from 3D movies. For the same time period last year, only seven 3D movies hit theaters compared to 18 this year.

Despite the low turnout, there were still a few motion pictures that did very well in North America. The final Harry Potter film ranked first with about $375 million in ticket sales followed by Transformers: Dark of the Moon which raked in $350 million. The Hangover Part II takes the bronze medal with $254 million in sales.

The economy is naturally to blame for low attendance, and while I’d like to complain about concession prices, they have always been astronomical and will remain so as theater owners make little money off the actual films they show. But that doesn’t really explain why some are willing to pay more to watch films in 3D, a technology that many would argue is still in its infancy.

Do you feel that the economy is solely to blame for poor attendance this summer or are there other reasons? I for one refuse to spend money when I can’t enjoy a film with people texting or just being loud in general.

Permalink to story.

I think it's a combination of things, the economy plus the competition from home theator/netflix/DVDs, etc. I saw Harry Potter in 3D, primarily because my schedule coincided with the 3D schedule and it only cost $1 more.

I think the economy has little to do with it. If you look historically at other economic down times, movie attendance actually went UP during those occasions. People wanted a little escapism in their life.

I'd say it has more to do with the availability of DVD's via NetFlix and RedBox combined with a slew of really, really bad movie releases. No one wants to drop $20 (including popcorn and a drink) to watch crap, even if it is 3D.

" causing distress within Hollywood "
LOLOLOL!!! poor poor howeewoud

There are too many variables to just blame the economy.
1. There hasn't been that many great movies this summer, if you ask me Hollywood has run out of creativity.( I think this is the main issue)
2. Technology is still changing, and maybe people have alterative entertainment.
3. Ticket and concession stand prices are a rip off at most places ( I know that concession stand, is how the movie theater makes most of its money but there are some that are even high for those standards.)

Personally I don't care if I see a movie in 2D or 3D since 3D really isn't that great. I mostly end up seeing movies in 3D though since they seem to give those the better showing times.

TomSea said:
I think the economy has little to do with it. If you look historically at other economic down times, movie attendance actually went UP during those occasions. People wanted a little escapism in their life.

I'd say it has more to do with the availability of DVD's via NetFlix and RedBox combined with a slew of really, really bad movie releases. No one wants to drop $20 (including popcorn and a drink) to watch crap, even if it is 3D.

I agree with the movies being crap wholeheartedly. Netflix and Redbox only shows what came out a while ago (and it gets real easy to finish through the new releases if you only want to watch GOOD things) but $8 a month or $1 per movie to watch with your friends verses about $14 base ticket per person not including the concession prices...

Ok here where I live I can get me and my girlfriend Into a movie for £4.20, a 3D movie would cost £10.40. Then add £5 each for glasses and why would I want to see the 3D version?! Bad enough the glasses are uncomfortable, I get a headache after an hour and generally I can't really see why the 3D effects are better than plain old 2D??

What Hollywood really is thinking
"damn it! The 3D gimmick we created is ending sooner than we expected"

If I'm going to go to the movies, which I pretty much don't on account of kids/cell phones/etc, I generally stick to action movies that will look awesome on a big screen and/or 3D.

"Regular" type movies which don't really benefit that much from a big screen, I watch at home.

I don't think it's really the economy. Somehow, no matter how bad the economy, you always see people eating or going to some form of entertainment (usually eating but movies are included). Ticket prices in general don't help, add to that another $2-3 for 3D. Many theaters don't have the best equipment for audio/video so a regular movie doesn't look great let alone a 3D flick. On top of all of that, concession prices are ridiculous and you have to deal with morons talking or making noise. Why do all of that?

My reason for not watching movies this summer is that I just don't know anything about them any more. I don't subscribe to cable TV due to it's high prices. Also I couldn't sit through the long commercial breaks while watching TV any longer without falling asleep on the sofa. When I watched TV or movies, its generally in a way which I can skip past the ad's. (Such as with Netflix, DVR, etc.) With a lower commercial exposure as I once had, I'm not as familiar to what's playing in the cinemas as I once was.

It is a fact that movie companies make more money off of DVD sales.......
Theater sales account for less than 20% of movie company profits.........
So why not release the movies straight to DVD.. ........Ya think....
More than 80 percent of homes today have big screen TV's and theater sound systems..
I wait till it is released to DVD, Yes movie theaters are SO over Priced...

Ya think....

We have a theater here in town, $3.50 a movie, and there concessions are at 1970 prices, and every movie is filled to capacity..
Granted there second run movies but only 2 weeks from 1st run week..
But hey if u can wait 3 weeks, then you can take your family and not go broke..
The theater is doing better than the Big Theaters...
Hmmm interesting concept...

Ya think the movie companies were smart.... DA ....Ya .... think...
And Release straight to DVD, less Piracy even.....

Chalk another one up to waiting for the release to hit the streets solely because of ignorant people that can't stfu.

I think they'll keep making 3D movies. Frankly, tho, I find the movies to be dark and simply not bright enough. Happily I don't get headaches from them, and even find them refreshing.

gwailo247 said:
If I'm going to go to the movies, which I pretty much don't on account of kids/cell phones/etc, I generally stick to action movies that will look awesome on a big screen and/or 3D.

"Regular" type movies which don't really benefit that much from a big screen, I watch at home.
Ditto, since i have a big screen tv at home like most, I dont see the point in watching a regualor movie at the cinemas. The action movies are worth going to see in 3D, though if i knew GL was going to suck that much I wouldnt have bothered, actually no I probably would have, big GL fan

I LOVED Terminator in 3D! It was soooo awesome... Some people cant see 3d as good as some. I see it just fine and think its awesome! I have a 3d tv at home and love playing 3d video games like crysis 2. And most of my friends like it to. I dont get why people on here are hating it? Ya its more expensive but so is any new trend that goes on. I know people who spend $100 on jeans that wont last them much over a year. Its all what you like! Some people love it some people don't.

I'd watch 3D more if i didn't have to wear those ridiculous and uncomfortable glasses plus only a few films actually benefit from having the 3D treatment.

The film industry probably releases movies in 3D as an anti-piracy and are not concerned whether the film lends itself the technology or no.

For me I stopped going because seeing good movies are few and far between. All the blockbusters are either lame sequels, unnecessary and poorly done remakes, or comic book hero crap laced with cgi to help distract the audience from boring and unoriginal themes.

Back