3G broadband card for main internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

k.jacko

Guys in the know,

our business HQ is at the very end of a BT exchange and as such we can only get 512Kbps, yes read it again 512Kbps adsl connection!!! Already contended it then has to be shareed between 50 users in the building.
Its download speeds are intermittent and range from 60KB/s down to 3KB/s (the lower speeds are more common).
Its THAT bad.
Now, the boss won't pay for leased line as its still quite a lot of money for in his eyes very little return (no matter how many positives i give him, he just doesn't understand )

Our laptop users when in the field connect to the internet and into our server via vodafone 3G usb modems currently as 3.2Mbps. We are due for upgrades to 7.2Mbps in the next month.

Now, after all that flannel, i theorised about using one of thess usb modem running at 7.2Mbps as an 'alternative test' for our main business internet access.
Can anyone see any logic with this theory bearing in mind:
Vodafone probably don't supply static IP's with these things (our sp is checking this for me).
It would be over 10x the speed we currently have.
There is a mast very close by so we should always get a good signal for max. speed.
We used to have Wireless SDSL (old tele2 stuff) but that was pretty crap! so we changed to ADSL.

We operate a domain client/server environment with exchange 2003 (using our own smtp) and windows 2003 servers.

Any advice really appreciated, thanks.

It's a little unclear on what you're asking. I'd say it'd be worth a try to use a broadband card if you have fast 3g in your area, but slow dsl. There are a couple of routers (1, 2) out that can accept usb broadband cards and allow it to be shared on a network (you will have to check compatibility).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back