TechSpot

3rd party DHCP Software

By jammy_gee
May 15, 2009
  1. Afternoon tech forum, i have two NIC's installed and want to be able to share internet connection, please dont point me towards ICS i want to use a DHCP server (3rd party software)

Here is the layout

MY HOME ROUTER DG192.168.1.254
    |
    |
    MY PC - NIC 1 192.168.1.68
    L_______________________NIC PC 2 - 10.61.32.1
    |
    5 port swith-----CLIENTS

I cannot get internet on the 4 clients connected through my pc.
    Is it actually possible to do this? what setting should i use? i am tryin alax dhcp and vDHCP
    Please help techies, thank you!

i want to be able to use ip 10.61.32..x

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,468   +327

WHY? Your router has DHCP built in and is free so there's no need for that choice. If you have one of the Windows Server 200x systems to run a Domain Controller environment, then DHCP is also available there!
    sorry, there's several things wrong here. First, the switch needs to be attached directly to the router, not your PC.
    This will allow all systems to get DHCP configuration from the same source and
    to use the correct ip subnet and routing to see each other AND then Internet.

Why demand 10.61.32.1? It will never work when the router above is at 192.168.1.x

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.