TechSpot

4 short beeps, 2 long

By Kjm301
Jan 3, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have an msi motherboard (which I think uses AMI BIOS code) and I accidently changed a setting on the BIOS menu and then it restarted and gave me 4 short beeps along with a message that flashed kinda fast saying something along the lines of, "please insert usb flash disk with bios file. "CHECKING FOR USB DEVICE" DEVICE NOT Found."

Afterwards I removed anything in the USB slots and tried but still got the same message. I then read that some people solved the issue by removing the power cord and waiting 5 before removing the CMOS . I waited 15 minutes to insure that the extra charge dissipated then removed it.

I waiting for about 5 minutes before reinstalling it and now I got 4 short beeps, a pause, and then 2 long beeps. I also have no image on the monitor. I tried looking into the beeps but I couldn't find a description of this code. I could find info for 4 short and info for 2 long but I'm not sure what this means either. I am not over clocking either.

It WAS running windows 8.1
    Motherboard: 760gm E51- fx
    GPU: MSI Radeon HD7870
    CPU: AMD FX6100
    A single 1TB Western Digital black HDD

Any help would be much appreciated to solving this.

2. Benmar

Benmar TS Rookie Posts: 53

Try to used your onboard video card.. pull out your external video card...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.