4 speaker support in Windows XP and pci64

By michaeljj
Feb 26, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I would like to know how to turn on 4 speaker support in Windows XP. I have a PCI64 sound card by Creative with rear speaker support via the line in jack. I can not switch it from line in to rear out without creative software and creative do not appear to have such a utility for Windows XP. Direct x 8.1 finds and uses teh card but does not allow the rears to work.

Thanks
  2. Federelli

Federelli Newcomer, in training Posts: 382

in this case, i'd email creative asking for the release of a enw set of drivers, though they might tell u they have discontinued work on this card... imo creative suck's making drivers
  3. michaeljj

michaeljj Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Creative state no support for SB64PCI in Windows XP

Creative have stated that there is no support for 4 speakers in XP. The referance drivers will only ever support 2. I have just reformated and reinstalled Windows 98. Ahhhh EAX and surround sound is back :).
  4. boeingfixer

boeingfixer Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,245

Re: Creative state no support for SB64PCI in Windows XP

Have you ever run Unreal Tourn. ? I had the same soundcard and had nothing but problems, I could never get it to run. i ended up getting a Philips Acousitc edge and it solved all my problems.
  5. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah Newcomer, in training Posts: 868

Wait a minute. I have a four speaker setup on my XP Pro computer. The way I enabled it was by installed Playcenter and all that other stuff and going to the AudioHQ and changing it from 2 speakers to 4 speakers.

Also, in XP you have to go to Control Panel-->Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices-->Change Speaker Settings-->Advanced under speaker settings and you can change the type of speaker you have to quadraphonic which is the closest to 4 speaker and all should work. Mine did anyways.

Granted I do have a Audigy, but maybe this works with your sound card too. Or maybe I'm just confused, who knows?

Hope this helps!!! :)
  6. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

In windowsXP there is an option in control panel - I can not remember where exactly, but I discovered it after I installed XP, it used it's own drivers for my SB5:1Live and there was a speaker setup option in control panel.

Failing that have u tried any 2K Drivers for your card?
  7. Mudshark

Mudshark Newcomer, in training Posts: 143

Re: Re: Creative state no support for SB64PCI in Windows XP

Okay, Boeingfixer... where do I get the latest XP drivers for my
    Acoustic Edge? I've looked all over with no luck... HELP!!
  8. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah Newcomer, in training Posts: 868

9. Mudshark

Mudshark Newcomer, in training Posts: 143

thanks I found it a few minutes after the post - the search facility is great! :)
    Feel like a right ***** - I 'm always telling everyone to use it.....
    Thanks again
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.