400 GB Hard Drive From Hitachi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

"Recently, Hitachi announced the latest in their Deskstar line of hard drives, the 7K400 - a 400GB desktop hard drive that was designed to offer high capacity as well as the highest performance levels of any desktop Hitachi drive. We started covering desktop hard drives around the time of Hitachi's announcement, and thus, they were one of the first on our list to pursue for review samples. Not too much later and we were sitting on over a terabyte of storage in the form of Deskstar 7K400 drives. "

Read all about it here.

You see, my plan is simple.

I will get a RAID 1 or RAID 5 SATA controller card and stripe 4 of these babies together to make 1.6 TB.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
"Recently, Hitachi announced the latest in their Deskstar line of hard drives, the 7K400 - a 400GB desktop hard drive that was designed to offer high capacity as well as the highest performance levels of any desktop Hitachi drive. We started covering desktop hard drives around the time of Hitachi's announcement, and thus, they were one of the first on our list to pursue for review samples. Not too much later and we were sitting on over a terabyte of storage in the form of Deskstar 7K400 drives. "

Read all about it here.
Are you related to Donald Trump?

Re: Re: 400 GB Hard Drive From Hitachi

Originally posted by david5182
Are you related to Donald Trump?

HAHAHAHA LOL LMAO pretty funny

Sounds pretty damn cool.. not sure sure how you'd fill that up P66, but I am glad they didnt take the 5400rpm approach.

10,000RPM Raptor 400GB SATA would be pretty freakin badass.

Think of the movie library you could have with a RAID 5 array, using something like 4 or 5 of those disks? Instead of burning these hundreds of divx movies to CDs and DVDs and stuff, you can just keep a massive library of them.

All data - all everthing, music, games, everything, all on one centralised data bank.

I think that is worth building.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
If you got the bling bling do it!

Ha!!! We're talking about Phant here agissi, of course he's got the $$$$. Don't even question that.....

"All data - all everthing, music, games, everything, all on one centralised data bank."

Then one day you turn on your computer and hear ka-thunk, ka-thunk... and a no operating system found message shows up on the screen. Losing terabytes of data would suck. The bigger the hard drive the more stuff you'll lose. :(

Well, that's why I would suggest some data storage that's got some in-built redundancy, like RAID 5.

I remember when hard drives crossed the 1GB mark and how unbelievable that was. I used to look at advertisments for them and wonder how anyone could afford any of them, or what on earth they would do with such an insane amount of space. My 20MB hard drive with Windows 3.1 was barely half-full! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back