400W PSU enough for Radeon HD 5670?

By vomacka
Feb 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I am looking to get the MSI R5670-MD1GD3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP video card.

However I need to know if my current 400W PSU will be enough?

I went to the Manufacturers website:
    http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R5670-MD1GD3.html#?div=Feature

But it did not mention anything about PSU required.

Google did not find anything either that helped.

Thanks.

Scott
  2. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Hey Scott,

The MSI Radeon 5670 should be fine on your 400W PSU as long as it's of decent quality (e.g. not some 6 year old unit from an off-brand company), however if you link us it we can tell you for sure. But as it stands AMD recommends having at least a 400W unit.

Edit: Just saw your other thread from a few days ago where you give more information, specifically your current power supply (MPT-401G). And if the information I googled is correct I personally would recommend upgrading as what you currently have feels dated and very generic.
  3. Dpatt711

Dpatt711 Newcomer, in training

If it is a high-quality PSU I would say yes...
  4. vomacka

vomacka Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 70

Thanks for the help/advice guys. Now that I have all this straightened out, I can now order a new V-Card and 500W PSU.

My current PSU came with the system and I have been using it for about 4 years now. I don't know about the quality/brand (Macron) of the PSU. One thing I DO know is that the main power plug on this unit is a 20pin and it is plugged into the 24pin plug on my MB. It looks weird, but it has not given me any trouble...yet?

Because I don't know much about it, It is a good idea to replace it.

Scott
  5. Ultiweap

Ultiweap TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 742

A 500W PSU would be nice for sure..but high quality recommended
  6. vomacka

vomacka Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 70

Today I was looking at my system voltage with Speed Fan:

Vcore1: 1.36V
    Vcore2: 3.26V
    +3.3V: 0.00V
    +5V: 5.00V
    +12V: 11.84V
    -12V: -16.97V
    -5V: -8.78V
    +5V: 6.85V
    Vbat: 3.23V

Why do these numbers not look right to me?

Should I be concerned?

Scott

P.S.
    My new PSU should be here by Friday.
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,475   +292

Yeah, those are bad numbers. General rule of thumb is + or - 10%.

Of course, I've never been impressed with Speedfan anyway, I suppose it could be reading them wrong. I wouldn't be too concerned with it if you haven't noticed any odd behavior. But I would get the new PSU in asap just incase. Be sure to check what Speedfan says for it, just to see.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.