4850 graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilliak

So jw im still searching for a graphics card can a 4850 play all these games at full spec
COH
BFME2
CRYSIS
STALKER
I dont really care for AA or AF and im running at resolution of 1440 X 900;.

Spec:
3GB ram
2.7 Ghz processor
and 2.0 Pci E

Hmm. Not Crysis, at least not at that resolution... I've got one on display right now with an AMD X2 6000 and 2GB of Patriot.. It's ok with 3dmark 06, but not good enough with Vantage. Drop your res a little bit and it should be fine.

4850 should play most games fairly well

nothing can really play crysis as good as ppl want it to from what ive heard.
but you should get decent playable fps with the 4850 in crysis

from the benchmarks ive seen, the 4850 is comparable to the 9800gtx
both are decent cards.

yea same ehre ij ust like getting confirmed results now not trying to be aknow it all buyt a 4850 beats out a 9800gtx but nota 9800gtx+

Well now ifound a 8800gts 512 mb ddr 3 G92 128 stream processors its prettynice for only 130 so shoudl i get taht over ra 4850

^For $130, yes. That card should give you enough juice to run those games you listed at that resolution. You may need to drop the settings on Crysis a tad but other than that you should be fine. Just make sure it actually fits in your system and that you have enough power to run it.

No. Absolutely not. Go big or go home, as I say. The 4850 will smoke that thing. That is old school. My 8800GTX 768MB could barely get through Crysis at a lower res than that, and the GTX is more powerful than that thing.

^What is with you and the whole "old school" blabber? The 8800GTS isn't really that old and would be fine to run Crysis, at least on an XP machine. Plus, he is getting a decent deal on it so I say just go for it. The HD4850 is not going "big" either, it's a mainstream card that is comparable to the 9800GTX which is basically a 55nm version of the 8800GTS with a faster core and memory clock.

^What is with you and the whole "old school" blabber? The 8800GTS isn't really that old and would be fine to run Crysis, at least on an XP machine. Plus, he is getting a decent deal on it so I say just go for it. The HD4850 is not going "big" either, it's a mainstream card that is comparable to the 9800GTX which is basically a 55nm version of the 8800GTS with a faster core and memory clock.

i have to agree with this and so do the 3dmark scores

if you wanted to go big, get a gtx 280 or a 4870x2

GTX is not the same as GTS, number one, and number two, yes the 9800GTX is a faster card... and the 4850 is a good card for the money, definitely better than the 8800 GTS.

And it IS old school.. The 9xxx and 2xx has come out since.. Get with the times man..

Why recommend something that's already an underachiever, out of date and won't give him any long term return on his investment? That's the same crappy kind of advice that keeps Newegg and Bestbuy in business.... ;)

i have to agree with this and so do the 3dmark scores

if you wanted to go big, get a gtx 280 or a 4870x2

mmmm.. I'm loving my Asus GTX280.. Absolutely insane card.. love it, love it, love it.

I have a BFG 9800GTX + OC in my clunker, and it's a great card too. For only $167 CAD (that's what I paid for it), it will simply destroy that 8800 GTS for bang for the buck.

Oh.. and nobody cares about 3dmark.. Nobody plays 3dmark. We play Crysis, Fallout 3 and Call of Duty. 3dmark, save to compare absolutely identical rigs to find out how your upgrade treated you, is absolutely useless.

Mind you, it makes for a great tech demo when we sell computers. :D

oldschool would be a voodoo card or a gforce 5200

8800 series isnt that old, they were the best cards out this time last year.

the 9800 series are revamped 8800's, thus yes they are better, but we are not talkin about being 25% or above better.

the 4850 specs at a glance
sp's: 800 (but these are not clocked like nvidia's sp's)
256 bus
512 or 1gb memory gddr3
core clock 625 stock

8800gt
sp's: 112
256 bus
512mb memory gddr3
core clock 600 stock

8800gts (g90)
sp's: 128
256 bus
512mb memory gddr3
core clock 650 stock

9800gt
sp's: 112
256 bus
512mb memory gddr3
core clock 600 stock

9800gtx+
sp's: 128
256 bus
512 or 1gb memory gddr3
core clock 738

yes the 9800gtx+ is the better card of the 5, but as you can see, it is not blowing the others away, nor is the 4850 blowing away the other g90's by nvidia

Crysis_01.png

mmmm.. I'm loving my Asus GTX280.. Absolutely insane card.. love it, love it, love it.

I have a BFG 9800GTX + OC in my clunker, and it's a great card too. For only $167 CAD (that's what I paid for it), it will simply destroy that 8800 GTS for bang for the buck.

Oh.. and nobody cares about 3dmark.. Nobody plays 3dmark. We play Crysis, Fallout 3 and Call of Duty. 3dmark, save to compare absolutely identical rigs to find out how your upgrade treated you, is absolutely useless.

Mind you, it makes for a great tech demo when we sell computers. :D

There are zero things special about the 9000 series release by nVidia; 55nm is only marginally better than the 8000 series 65nm dies. The point I'm bringing to the table is that a 8800GTS can be obtained for less money than a HD4850. Both cards will run the games Z listed in his first post just fine. I'm fully aware that the 4850 is the better card but there's no sense in buying one if he doesn't have the money. Get with the times? I don't know what planet you're living on but here on earth there doesn't exist any computer hardware that carries "any long term investment advantages." Technology is obsoleted daily and you can never be ahead of the curve. You're a Best Buy technician aren't you?

with that benchmark of crysis i put upin my last post,

the 4850 out performs the 8800gts by .1 (zero point one) in crysis.

so much for the blowout you speak of.

here is the dx10 benchmark for crysis

Crysis_02.png

with that benchmark of crysis i put upin my last post,

the 4850 out performs the 8800gts by .1 (zero point one) in crysis.

so much for the blowout you speak of.

here is the dx10 benchmark for crysis

That link from Anandtech will tell the whole story, over a range of games.. and the difference across the board is more than .1. A fair bit more.

For $10, what's the sense in promoting old tech? The 4850 will give him a much greater return on his investment.. Is it a jealousy thing or something? I don't get it. I always recommend what will give someone the best return on their investment, and a card that's 3 gens old just isn't it.

you came in here saying the 4850 would blow the doors off the other recommended cards.

the 4850 isnt really new either, like the other cards mentioned.

you fail to realize his budget and what he can spend.

i was going to recomend a gtx 260, but it seemed like too much of a reach for him so i didnt. you can get these for as little as 200 or less if you shop around.

but here is a 4850 that is 150 shipped from newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121272

since you insist on pushing it

but this 8800gts is cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133254

The GTX260 is a great card too. I really liked it, although the GTX280 really stomps on it. For $600 CAD it's a really wicked card. Only reason I bought it, too be honest, is because someone REALLY wanted my GTX260 and my suppliers were out of stock. They wanted it REAL bad.

In my last post I compared the Asus 4850 to the PNY 8800GTS.. And pointed out the $10 difference. For $10... and a really good brand.. Like.. Seriously.

The GTX260 is a great card too. I really liked it, although the GTX280 really stomps on it. For $600 CAD it's a really wicked card. Only reason I bought it, too be honest, is because someone REALLY wanted my GTX260 and my suppliers were out of stock. They wanted it REAL bad.

In my last post I compared the Asus 4850 to the PNY 8800GTS.. And pointed out the $10 difference. For $10... and a really good brand.. Like.. Seriously.

i agree about the 280, i have one myself

it does blow away all the other cards recommended in this thread.

got my brand new for $333 shipped, that was a good bang for the buck.

God yeah. What an awesome deal!!! I bought mine wholesale from Supercom, and it was a fair bit more than that. Wow! Gimme!!! lol

Mine is an Asus and they've tweaked it a little bit. Enough to justify how much more I paid for it than you? Probably not. *sigh*. Still.. Crysis.. 1680x1050, maxed, on a 37" Aquos. It's a thing of beauty *sniff*. I spent all day during a brutal snow storm blowing the crap out of everything in sight. I couldn't pull myself away.. :D

Anyways, hopefully I didn't come across like too much of a meanie fart... To me, return on investment should always factor in heavily on recommendations.. It's just the way I do business.

God yeah. What an awesome deal!!! I bought mine wholesale from Supercom, and it was a fair bit more than that. Wow! Gimme!!! lol

Mine is an Asus and they've tweaked it a little bit. Enough to justify how much more I paid for it than you? Probably not. *sigh*. Still.. Crysis.. 1680x1050, maxed, on a 37" Aquos. It's a thing of beauty *sniff*. I spent all day during a brutal snow storm blowing the crap out of everything in sight. I couldn't pull myself away.. :D

Anyways, hopefully I didn't come across like too much of a meanie fart... To me, return on investment should always factor in heavily on recommendations.. It's just the way I do business.

i got lucky getting mine,

seller on ebay had it $370 to start + free shipping, seemed i was the only bidder
+ ebay was running a special, 10% off any purchase.
so i ended up gettting it for $333

saved $116 compaired to the same card on newegg at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back