4gb DDR2 1066 or 8gb DDR2 800

By Axiarus
Mar 15, 2010
  1. I just realized I have some extra ram laying around. Here is the question. I was wondering if 4gDDR2@1066mhz with my AMD 9950 Black Edition OC'ed to 3ghz would be better than 8gbDDR2@800mhz with my CPU stock at 2.6ghz. I play things like WoW and Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Mostly new stuff.
  2. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

Definitely better off with just 4Gb, and having your CPU OCed than to have 8Gb, and running stock.

The difference probably is minimal anyway.

This is a different scenario if you do alot of photoshopping or RAM intensive stuff, those games won't take up gobs of RAM.
  3. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

i agree, 4GB is more than enough... what operating system are you using?
  4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

32-bit =3GB to 4GB
    64-bit = 4GB to 8GB
    Share video then 6GB to 8GB

4GB is more than enough today unless your doing 3D CAD or heavy duty gaming..?
  5. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

You can game as much as you want, no game today would utilize more than 4gb I reckon.

I did also note that you've got a very mild overclock, which shouldn't exactly see a whole lot of improvement anyway. Even with HUGE overclocks on CPUs, games barely see any performance improvements since they are generally bottlenecked at the GPU side of things.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.