4GB Limit Win XP Pro

By Savage1701
May 1, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, I've searched the forums and can't find a specific answer to this. I upgraded my memory with (4) 1GB DIMM's on Win XP Pro 32-bit. I booted up and checked the properties of "My Computer" and it said 4 GB RAM. Now all of a sudden a couple days later it says "2 GB RAM". Not sure what is going on here. Could I have done something? Any thoughts are appreciated.
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,109   +21

XP because it is a 32-bit ssystem the most it will recognize is 3 gigs of RAM. Even Vista Home Premium 32-bit is limited in this way. To utilize 4 gigs takes a 64-bit OS.
  3. Savage1701

Savage1701 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 279

I'm aware of all that. What I am trying to find out is why one day it says 4GB and the next it says 2GB. I've read a ton of threads on this, including the use of the /PAE and /3GB switches. I'm just trying to find out why one day "My Computer" shows 4GB and the next it shows "2GB". My BIOS consistently shows 4GB on its pre-boot screen.
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Two memory modules might've gone bad. Have you tried a memtest ?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.