4GB Memory Upgrade to 8GB Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to upgrade my Gateway RS780 from 4GB to 8GB. All the memory sticks are the same, 2GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400. When I install all four the system won't start up. I'm wondering what the color coded memory slots mean:

Here's my system information:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name USER-PC
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model RS780
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9100e Quad-Core Processor, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 7B3P091G, 8/6/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name User-PC\User
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.43 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.50 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.00 GB
Page File Space 3.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

First of all thanks for supporting Gateway and thanks for buying a Prebuilt Gaming System. A Nice one too. :)

Anyways, it sounds like you dont have them in correctly, try taking them all out again, and put one in at a time slower and make sure they all are fitted in good.

Tha - Thanks for your message. Yes, it's a great machine.

Yes, already done that and tried it all kinds of different configurations. Also, I've confirmed that all the memory sticks are working.

The color coated slots are to indicate which channels work together (blanking on what is called at the moment). Try putting the matching pairs in in the matching colored slots.

the color coded dimms are to denote that there are two channels so you can place two ram modules correctly to activate the dual channel feature. consult your MB manual to see the proper placement. some have you place them in both the same color, some are one of each, slot 0&1 and 2&3 some are 0&2 and 1&3 etc. make sure that the max ram allowed for your board is not limited to 4Gb. also what are you using a 32 bit OS or a 64 bit? a 32 bit OS will only allow you ro have 4 GB of memory, and of that will only give you 2.75-3.5 GB of 'usable or working memory.

Maybe your PSU is marginal. Have you added any other things since you bought the PC such as a better graphics card or extra hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back