The OLED Burn-In Test: One Month Update

Once you go OLED its hard to go back to LCD smearing. The motion clarity is just insane. Only those 500+ Hz TN monitors even comes close and needs BFI enabled to do it, which puts brightness as low if not lower than OLED anyway.

Finally we see some real image quality and motion clarity improvements in the monitor market. This year and next is going to be packed with monitors. I love that Samsung Display and LG Display competes, meaning faster progress and lower prices.

Personally I like QD-OLED more for the colors and glossy screens. WOLED is not bad tho, as long as its 3rd gen with MLA. Both easily stomp LCD.

Still not sure if I will be buying 32" 4K240 or 34" Ultra Wide (These needs a refresh tho, with 240 Hz and 3rd gen panels as well)

Personally I am not worried about burn-in. Had like 20 OLED phones and 5 TVs at this point. Never seen burn-in yet. Not even retention. I wary my use alot, and for my PC monitor it will be mostly video and gaming + dark room usage.

OLED + Dark room = Insane immersion. Everything just pops.

Last edited:
Once you go OLED its hard to go back to LCD smearing. The motion clarity is just insane. Only those 500+ Hz TN monitors even comes close and needs BFI enabled to do it, which puts brightness as low if not lower than OLED anyway.

Finally we see some real image quality and motion clarity improvements in the monitor market. This year and next is going to be packed with monitors. I love that Samsung Display and LG Display competes, meaning faster progress and lower prices.

Personally I like QD-OLED more for the colors and glossy screens. WOLED is not bad tho, as long as its 3rd gen with MLA. Both easily stomp LCD.

Still not sure if I will be buying 32" 4K240 or 34" Ultra Wide (These needs a refresh tho, with 240 Hz and 3rd gen panels as well)

Personally I am not worried about burn-in. Had like 20 OLED phones and 5 TVs at this point. Never seen burn-in yet. Not even retention. I wary my use alot, and for my PC monitor it will be mostly video and gaming + dark room usage.

Colors are richer on LCD and especially with HDR. Yeah, you got 100% contrast, but everything else is flat. Not to mention size are limited with OLED and they don't belong in living rooms.

And even there, the product cannot even be justified because burnin is a huge issue for a monitor.

Micro LED will be the future, OLED is just a fad.

Colors are richer on LCD and especially with HDR. Yeah, you got 100% contrast, but everything else is flat. Not to mention size are limited with OLED and they don't belong in living rooms.

And even there, the product cannot even be justified because burnin is a huge issue for a monitor.

You know nothing about OLED hahaha.

LCD is mediocre at best, should only be used in low to mid-end stuff really.

OLED dominates the high-end market and will continue to do so for the next 5-10 years at least. Micro LED for consumers is not even close. Won't be in this decade.

I'd rather not have a TV than having to use a LCD TV with terrible image quality, bad viewing angles, blooming, clouding, smearing all over, bad HDR, blacklight bleed, corner glow and I could go on. LCD is inherently flawed tech.

750 Hours...

Your testing doesn't matter when RTINGS already did that test into conditions you cannot even come close of matching.

Rtings did flawed testing, meaning every OLED care feature disabled and no standby where pixel refresh runs, with 24/7/365 running CNN which is not a real life scenario at all.

If low contrast, smearing, blooming + backlight issues, bad viewing angles and just overall a crappy image quality is your thing, keep using LCD. We don't really care.

OLED destroys LCD which is why OLED is used in pretty much all high-end products today. Both Samsung and LG ramps up OLED production and builds new OLED fabs. OLED dying - hahahah - Keep dreaming.

MicroLED won't be ready in this decade, maybe by 2035-2040 you will see working products aimed at regular consumers.

Do you have a phone with LCD? LMAO! Sigh.

Last edited:
Rtings did flawed testing, meaning every OLED care feature disabled and no standby where pixel refresh runs, with 24/7/365 running CNN which is not a real life scenario at all.

Keep using trash LCD and get garbage image quality on day one, we don't care.

For your trouble in coming here to defend a monitor as if it were a wife, I'd say the opposite.

Oled is bad for most people who need an affordable and reliable product. I'd bet on microled in the long run as a natural evolution to what exists today. For now, it's just a niche product.

For your trouble in coming here to defend a monitor as if it were a wife, I'd say the opposite.

Oled is bad for most people who need an affordable and reliable product. I'd bet on microled in the long run as a natural evolution to what exists today. For now, it's just a niche product.
Yeah OLED panels are niche stuff. Thats why every and all high-end phones use OLED and have done for years. OLED beats LCD with ease in the high-end TV space as well. It is not even close. LCD mostly sells in the low to mid-end space.

Not a single high-end product today uses LCD unless they want to get laughed at. Samsung Display stopped making LCD and Samsung Electronics now buy 3rd party LCD panels - Samsung Display are going all-in with OLED. Why? Because it is the future. For the next 10 years, at least.

People with no OLED experience OLED always ramble on about burn-in yet like its 2015.

There's not a single LCD TV today that I would buy. Thats how bad LCD TVs are. Just horrible and backlight issues and blooming ruins all immersion.

Not to mention that those mini LED TVs disable most dimming zones completely in pc and game mode because input lag is +200-400 ms when all zones are enabled. This is why all Mini LED TVs loses tons of image quality in game mode and essentially delivers same visuals as dated edge lit LED TVs. Just horrible.

But sure, keep talking about burn-in while looking at garbage visuals on your LCD panel :joy:

Last edited:
This year and next is going to be packed with monitors.
Not at ~$900 price.
I remember well the first wave of decent 4k 144hz monitors. Those were much more expensive than HD, or even 60hz 4ks.
Now with wider oled adoption, the prices went up further.

Interesting article! Two questions for the author:

1. Why not leave the monitor set to the out-of-box settings as that’s what most users will probably do?

2. Have you considered running a highly accelerated test instead of just using it for regular work? With the default burn-in measures built into the display I suspect you may not see issues for a very long time (like over a year or longer).

Interesting article! Two questions for the author:

1. Why not leave the monitor set to the out-of-box settings as that’s what most users will probably do?

2. Have you considered running a highly accelerated test instead of just using it for regular work? With the default burn-in measures built into the display I suspect you may not see issues for a very long time (like over a year or longer).

For your question 2 here and maybe some of 1, others are already doing accelerated testing and that's informative but also artificial. I like the idea of testing an OLED by just replacing your LCD with it and adjusting settings to what works for you. Ie: No hedged bets, just set to what works best for your workflow and see if that OLED can improve on an existing tech with few or no compromises.

"Colors are richer on LCD and especially with HDR. Yeah, you got 100% contrast, but everything else is flat."

Your assertion is the exact opposite of the truth. OLEDs have a far wider color gamut than LCDs. Read ANY OLED review (start with TFT Central) and its HDR superiority... then come back and apologize. Clearly, you are trolling.

750 Hours...

Your testing doesn't matter when RTINGS already did that test into conditions you cannot even come close of matching.

First of all, their testing was highly flawed, based on the sparse details of the methods they used. Running an OLED 24 hours a day does not allow it to use the built-in technologies to refresh the pixels or panel. And no one (other than, perhaps, an airport terminal?) is running CNN at 100% brightness 24/7. This wasn't an "accelerated" test of normal use; it was an completely unrealistic and nonsensical torture test.

Here's a real-world test: I've been using my Alienware AW3423DW for nearly two years for every type of work/content/gaming imaginable for multiple hours daily, and guess what? ZERO burn-in. Not even a hint.

With a few smart habits, such as auto-hiding the task bar, using full-screen often to hide the tab bar (a handy toggle of F11 on a programmable mouse button makes it a cinch), and not keeping it at full brightness (who does that, anyway?), I fully expect this monitor to perform flawlessly for many years. Best picture I've ever seen, btw.

Last edited:
TechSpot, thanks for saying 240Hz was better than expected for office productivity! Refresh rate is sometimes an accessibility feature for a percentage of us.

Fantastic to know that mainstream media is acknowledging that 240Hz is no longer just for esports; it is a fantastic eyestrain-reducer for some of us motionsick people.

Some of us (10% of population) get motionsick from having only 30-60fps on a giant immersive screen sitting on our desks.

When we put gigantic screens on desks like 45" OLEDs instead of 15" CRTs, the refresh rate matters a heck lot more in ergonomics, even for office productivity. While some of us are fine with 30-60fps, some of us need way more framerate even during scrolling (low framerate scrolling can make some of us motionsick).

Well except manufacturers aren't exactly going mad with new miniled offerings. Somfar only few new monitors have been announced and none match the specs. This is frustrating as all hell as I WILL NOT buy oled for my monitor as I do a hell of a lot of photo editing, running browsers, reading pdfs, word processing, running Matlab etc. I will just find the best value 4K miniled with 1152 zones, 144Hz+ I can find, but the prices are higher than OLED for many. Asucks Pro Art is like $3.5K. Ultimately microled will be the premium panel, but not until 2030 at earliest will it be mainstream.

I'm hoping OLED makes further strides on burn-in. If we can get to 5 or better yet 7 year warranties then I'll feel safe enough. 3 years is a joke as these monitors are $2K+ in Australia and I expect a monitor at that price point to last 10 years at least. Both my 12 year old lcds are going strong and they cost $600 and $800.

I have. I got 2 phones with burn in. I got air purifiers (2) burn in. I got a washing machine that I turn on once a week with a burn in. I got a smartwatch with a burn in, OLED tablet with tons of burn in... and my friend got an OLED monitor 2 years ago... now he has burn in issues. Clearly seen too, you don't have to zoom in, or do tests to find them. Easy to see stuff. So yeah, as good as OLED is, I pass on it hard. Everything you said is true, dont get me wrong. Facts are facts, but my facts aint wrong either. My experience is not positive, aside from the amazing benefits from the tech of course. I'm happy for you, but your luck is different compared to mine/my friends. I just woke up after 8 hours of sleep. I forgot to turn off my monitor and PC. This is literally the first thing I do now, typing this comment. I would be scared if I had OLED. I often fall asleep too, so RIP OLED TV/monitor.

If I was rich? OLED ALL THE WAY. Whos rich nowadays tho? My 4K TV is now 10 years old. Yes, 4K is that old, does that make ya feel old? Its like yesterday... when nobody had 4K anything LOL.

OLED is definitely better than LED when it comes to image quality. No need to buy one to notice that just go to a showroom and the difference is evident.
That being said, even the LED tvs of today offer astounding image quality which is not just sufficient but amazing for everyday usage. Therefore, for most consumers it does not justify 2x++ cost to buy an OLED. Rest of the arguments are just coping from one side or the other.

As someone that primarily games on my pc, this experiment really puts my mind at ease about all the concern about OLED burn-in. Since I have been out of school, I rarely use productivity apps at home unless I am using my work laptop issued to me by IT. Occasionally, I might hop on Google sheets or something, and I definitely use web browsers to pull up wikis for games - but those can go on my second monitor above the odyssey OLED g9 I am planning to buy. Just have to keep my fingers crossed that Samsung’s QA delivers me a nice panel(s) Which is another source of buyers anxiety I am experiencing while reading forums about all the different OLED ultrawides out there.

First of all, their testing was highly flawed, based on the sparse details of the methods they used. Running an OLED 24 hours a day does not allow it to use the built-in technologies to refresh the pixels or panel. And no one (other than, perhaps, an airport terminal?) is running CNN at 100% brightness 24/7. This wasn't an "accelerated" test of normal use; it was an completely unrealistic and nonsensical torture test.

Here's a real-world test: I've been using my Alienware AW3423DW for nearly two years for every type of work/content/gaming imaginable for multiple hours daily, and guess what? ZERO burn-in. Not even a hint.

With a few smart habits, such as auto-hiding the task bar, using full-screen often to hide the tab bar (a handy toggle of F11 on a programmable mouse button makes it a cinch), and not keeping it at full brightness (who does that, anyway?), I fully expect this monitor to perform flawlessly for many years. Best picture I've ever seen, btw.
Interesting comments. I have a 50" plasma that I use on my HTPC, and a 24" LG 19:10 LG LCD both of which I have been waiting to replace. The plasma has burn-in.

One of the things that I always do is have the task bar auto hide. I can't stand having it always visible on any computer I use.

Now that OLED monitors are coming down in price, I'm closer to replacing the 24" with a 32" OLED, and this monitor is certain on my list of probables. For my HTPC "monitor" I'm going to be in the market for a 65" OLED in the not-too-distant future.

If I felt that microLED would be affordable at any time in the near future, I might wait longer. For now, however, OLED is the way to go, IMO.

Interesting comments. I have a 50" plasma that I use on my HTPC, and a 24" LG 19:10 LG LCD both of which I have been waiting to replace. The plasma has burn-in.

One of the things that I always do is have the task bar auto hide. I can't stand having it always visible on any computer I use.

Now that OLED monitors are coming down in price, I'm closer to replacing the 24" with a 32" OLED, and this monitor is certain on my list of probables. For my HTPC "monitor" I'm going to be in the market for a 65" OLED in the not-too-distant future.

If I felt that microLED would be affordable at any time in the near future, I might wait longer. For now, however, OLED is the way to go, IMO.
You bring up something pretty important to remember here- as someone that also remembers the days of Plasma tvs as well as CRT, I can say first hand that manufacturers never had the sort of automatic preventative maintenance built into the display tech back then. If you got burn-in, your just out of luck and you purchase a new display. The idea that the manufacturers are putting these preventative measures in place to fight burn-in is a huge step in the right direction. Now if these corporations would just stop fighting their customers on warranty fulfillment we would be in a much better place.

I actually take all the cautionary mitigation strategies including Black Desktop and Dark mode on all applications but I have my CX on max brightness will be 4 years this July with no burn in image retention. When using Desktop for other than gaming/movies I do use Blue light protection and hdr off which does lower brightness.

Some photos of the 48 inch CX at max brightness.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vfsmXTydwEHy6RQs5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Uo2uNvQCxMZrtfnk6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DXDCCpmLL4owe5Lx8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A5fKjvsefBTmjVQ99

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZQNSi1CgmWddZpjT7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TJfCS6dDk2bvqpJA9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CkzS8GgDKYGTDSan9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZeZiLdcFGvobMh9b7

I did it for science 😅.

Last edited:
I'll say again as a long term OLED user: As long as you are careful you won't encounter burn-in over a period of years. The big ones are to turn down the panel brightness (I'm living at 30/100) and make sure the OLED (and Windows if used as a PC Monitor) will turn the thing off after 10-15 minutes away.

I'm still holding on to my black desktop background; others say that really isn't needed much anymore but I'm still playing it safe.

I'll say again as a long term OLED user: As long as you are careful you won't encounter burn-in over a period of years. The big ones are to turn down the panel brightness (I'm living at 30/100) and make sure the OLED (and Windows if used as a PC Monitor) will turn the thing off after 10-15 minutes away.

I'm still holding on to my black desktop background; others say that really isn't needed much anymore but I'm still playing it safe.
I think it's honestly fair to say that most high-end OLED screens these days don't develop burn-in for at least a few years down the line, sometimes 5+ with normal use, and are fine for everyday users. For someone like me, unfortunately, we're looking at more like a 4-8hr average every day of the week, and I typically don't replace monitors until absolutely desired or necessary; my existing set is currently 7 years old, with some older hobby computers running leftover LCD monitors from the early 2000s. On this kind of time scale, OLEDs just wouldn't cut it for me, which is why I'm glad decent-looking LCDs are still an available option.

Also it's extremely hard to find OLED monitors with anti-glare coatings and I will die on the hill that reflective glossy screens just suck.

I'm putting my money on the 4-5 year mark before you notice burn in. I have 2 Alienware monitors in my household, both OLED. Curious to see if your test creates burn in before the 3-year manufacturer's warranty.

Back