TechSpot

5.1 surround will only play on front L and R speakers

By 346046
Jan 7, 2007
  1. Heres the Deal, I am trying to Upgrade my sound system from the 2 channel to the 5.1. I bought the logitech z-5300, and a CMI 8738 Sound Card. The sound card isn't fancy but it should work. I connected all the wires, To the right places and I only get sound out of the Front L & R and Center. I installed all the Drivers, I installed all the software that came with the sound card(which isn't much), I changed the 2 channel to 5.1 in control pannel, clicked OK and Applied the changes. But sound will not come out of any thing but the front speakers. To test I'm using the software that came with the card. so When I click on the back left or right speaker sound should come out of it, but instead it comes from the front left or right respectively, Just to cover everything the sound trying to play Is surround sound,

Any help would be appreciated

OS WinXP
    CPU 2800+ amd 64
    mobo chaintech socket754

2. tweakboy

tweakboy TS Maniac Posts: 518

Hole plugged properly,, all connection proper,, and in audio settings change to proper speaker config,,

gl,

3. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

He said he had already done all of that... but I have to ask, how many wires did you connect from the speakers to the soundcard? There should be 3 wires outputting to the speakers for 5.1 surround.

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,356   +283

Either 3 or 1

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,484   +233

On the back of the subwoofer there is a black switch that sets the unit for 2, 4.1, and 5.1. Is it set on the 5.1 position?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.