5-in-1 Card Reader with 4 pin connection - Where do I connect it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatman3345

Quick one this:

I've a slightly dated machine with a A8N-SLI Deluxe Asus motherboard. My 5-in-1 is an old floppy one with SD bla bla. The issue here is that the connector that comes out the back of the 5-in-1 is not a USB two row jobby.

Instead its a single row of 4 pins with...

+5V
Data-
Data+
Gnd

...written on.

Now I don't know how generic card readers and motherboards are with regard to this issue but I don't know what I'm doing here. I'm eager to sorting this out cos doing data transfers from the reader is massively quicker than doing so via USB cable!

Cheers and hope you can help!

the connector that comes out the back of the 5-in-1 is not a USB two row jobby

Is this the only connector?
It sounds like you're describing the power connector which is the same as what's found on the back of 3.5" floppy drives. If so, it plugs in to the PSU-internally, but you still need an interface cable.

Can you post a picture of this connector, or provide a model #, brand of this reader?
The only other '4-pin connector' I know of is firewire-but thats fairly new...(a few years)

It goes in the same spot as a USB port... Plug it into the board in the same area as a USB port (if you have some on the front pannel of your tower) It goes in the same color/word order as USB. Here's a site, hope it helps.. http://www.directron.com/installusb.html Mind you this is on USB, it works the same way as most 5-1 Card readers have a USB port too.

Hmmmm, I'll show you the pics

I've plugged it into to a spare USB port (top row with all wire colours corresponding) and it came up that Windows had found

Windows Optical Device 2.1 (I think)

then USB Human Interface

Then it said it should work properly.... and it doesn't.

It's got the floppy drive A: in the reader too and thats not coming up on My Computer.

When I put a card in too (SD etc), nothing!

Can't believe this thing!

Here's the pics:

p1030778.jpg

p1030779.jpg

You should edit your post and post those as links to pictures, those clutter forums. Something like the pins to the left is where the Card Reader should connect.. As for it not reading anything I'm not too sure. Don't work with card readers much only built some with them.

On the second picture, it was on the top row of the blue / turquoise USB connector I put it in which came up with the Windows Optical Device 2.1... USB Human Interface detected bla bla message resulting in well nothing!

Any more ideas guys? The area I have shown on the second pic is the only area the wire will reach. Yes I pulled it out and dont know where from (or at least someone who thought they knew where it went did!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back