$500 to buy a good PC

T

TomtopLulu

I bought the ASUS EeePC three years ago when I was still in College. At first, it was pretty good. However, as time goes by, it works much slowly. So I am wondering if there were any methods helping me work this out, to make it faster? If not, then I have to buy a new one for work. Of course, only $500...The brand is not so important. The quality counts most. Anyone could do me this favor?
It would be very nice of you to help me out.:)

Does it have to be a netbook/notebook/laptop or can it be a desktop?
What do you intend to do with it?

You could put a SSD in your current if it doesn't already have one, and possibly upgrade your RAM. Those EeePCs all used very low power processors, so they were good for battery life and being relatively inexpensive, they were never designed to be fast. So even with more RAM (if you aren't maxed already) and a SSD your performance is still going to be poor for multimedia on the web, hd video, and gaming.

Does it have to be a netbook/notebook/laptop or can it be a desktop?
What do you intend to do with it?

You could put a SSD in your current if it doesn't already have one, and possibly upgrade your RAM. Those EeePCs all used very low power processors, so they were good for battery life and being relatively inexpensive, they were never designed to be fast. So even with more RAM (if you aren't maxed already) and a SSD your performance is still going to be poor for multimedia on the web, hd video, and gaming.

Thank you, SNGX1275~~
Yeah~A desktop is acceptable if it was portable and convenient. Since I have to use that PC both at office and home, it would be a tough job to take a heavy PC with me from home and office. :p
And I have considered about upgrade the RAM, but hopelessly it would work better. Just like what you said. That's the reason why I have to buy a new PC. The brand thing is not so important, actually. So it would be much better to spend around $500 to get a new one with high power processors. The battery life did not count so much, I could use the power adapter.
Steven once suggested Lenovo ThinkPads, I am afraid of that it may be surpass my budget. :)
One of my IT friends said Acer or CPQ might be of my choice.
What's your idea?

I think even a relatively inexpensive laptop from a place like Staples would be much faster than what you currently have.

Since a desktop, although limited in size, is a possibility... That makes things really interesting. You could probably build a relatively powerful desktop in a small form factor, but I don't know how many of us here have experience with building really small rigs..

Honestly, I think probably any notebook would be much faster (brand isn't super important in your price range, but Lenovo is well respected). But I admit, it would be fun to try to put together a pretty small desktop PC :)

I think even a relatively inexpensive laptop from a place like Staples would be much faster than what you currently have.

Since a desktop, although limited in size, is a possibility... That makes things really interesting. You could probably build a relatively powerful desktop in a small form factor, but I don't know how many of us here have experience with building really small rigs..

Honestly, I think probably any notebook would be much faster (brand isn't super important in your price range, but Lenovo is well respected). But I admit, it would be fun to try to put together a pretty small desktop PC :)

Hehe, you are right. It would bring lots of fun when building a desktop, since we could choose whatever we like for every single component. I have the same question, it is not be so easy to find really small rigs, using them make up into a small desktop.
The EeePC is relatively to small, yes?
I saw a New ThinkPad this morning, but the price has not been published yet.

Someone said a second-hand PC might also be suitable. I have doubted the quality...
Then I shall check more information online. Considering the RAM, processor and the whole set of configuration..LOL~

Back