500GB HHD only seen as 128GB -Win2k

By L6Griffin
Mar 16, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just installed a 500GB WD5000AAKS Sata drive Win2K Pro only sees it as a 128GB drive. Win2K has all the updates, the ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus mother board has the latest BIOS. The BIOS sees it as 500GB Sata drive, on sata1. Checking Device Manager it says it's a standard drive. I'd like to partition all 500GB as a primary partition. What do I need to do?

Thanks,
    Larry
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,126

well i know xp fresh installment wont see anything above 128 gig untill you instill sp2
  3. L6Griffin

L6Griffin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 29

I was planning to upgrade to XP 64, guess I'll just have to move it a little higher in the priorities. I bought two identical drives, Linux say the other one no problem.

Thanks,
    Larry
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

5. L6Griffin

L6Griffin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 29

Thanks for the info. I looked at the link, and the mod to the registry would get me four partitions, but I don't think I want to go that route. I'll use it as a tmp directory till I can upgrade to XP 64.

Larry
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.