500GB Seagate portable hard drive

Ok I have this HD that I put it in a laptop HD and it fit but says no bootable device. When I plug it into a usb port it wont even read it it makes a hum and turns off.

Was the hard drive previously working in the laptop before stopping working? Or did you try it in the laptop after it stopped working via USB?

A operating system needs to be installed on the hard drive for it to actually boot. If one isn't it will ask you to insert a bootable device in order to load an operating system.

It was a Linux 11.04 then it made a grinding noise then now all it does is it has 0 gbs

Like it was made into a bootup usb program so like 2 HDs

It wont recognize it as a storage device, it says it has 0 everything

It was a Linux 11.04 then it made a grinding noise then now all it does is it has 0 gbs

Think the red, highlighted portion of the above reply explains the problem nicely. For whatever reason the hard disk sounds totally dead. You'll need to replace the disk then restore a backup to get up and running again.

Also, on a separate note, in future replies could you please use edit and add to your original post rather than post multiple replies. We discourage double-posting and for that reason allow members to edit their own posts should they feel additional content needs adding.

There is very little you can do with the hard disk now -- unless you fancy making a door stop out of it or some other decorative feature. Once they're dead they're dead. This is especially true of the failure you've experienced as that is hardware (mechanical breakdown) and not software (PCB) related.

Welcome to TechSpot. :) You're welcome to ask as many questions as you like, we just discourage members from creating multiple replies in threads one after another like you've done in posts 4,5 and 6 in this thread, as all of that could be put in one single post. :)

^ It is now, I merged them.

Agreed that if the drive made unnatural noises it is toast. Bummer. Although it is useful to those who saw this thread and hopefully you as a reminder that drives can die at any moment, so never have only 1 copy of valuable data.

Back