50Mbps broadband certified on Boeing business jet

By Emil
Oct 22, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Boeing has become the first airplane manufacturer to put a 50Mbps broadband connection, about 100 times faster than most competing in-flight WiFi options, on a plane. The company announced the first certification and installation of Panasonic Avionics' eXConnect in-flight Internet service in one of its planes. The Boeing Business Jet (BBJ) 737 aircraft will initially be used by Panasonic itself for ongoing testing, validation, and live demonstrations.

Read the whole story
  2. posermobile89

posermobile89 Newcomer, in training Posts: 72

Jees, I wish I had 50 Mbps in my house, and a damn jet gets it? sigh...
  3. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

I thought it was a bit much having it in my house, but on a plane... That's mad!
  4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,390   +16

Me too, I probably wont see speeds like that till 2020 lol.
  5. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

There's talk of my ISP releasing 100mb in the near future.. I've already enquired as to a price! :haha:

I really don't need 50mb, but it's just so quick at downloading stuff, and I'm impatient when it comes to downloads... :D
  6. motrin

motrin TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 149

I'M going to travel alot more.. now !
  7. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

50 Mbit/s WiFi is pretty radical. Image it being used on a 747; a really big load on the computer-system. We might see server-technichians among the flight crew in the future :) .
  8. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,259   +41

No, flight attendants will just get an added course on how to press the reset button on the router.
  9. Phraun

Phraun Newcomer, in training Posts: 34

I have TEN mbps in my house T_T
  10. subglo

subglo Newcomer, in training

50Mbps on a jet is pretty '' WOW'' to me, because it's still a dream for me to get so fast network, in my my country Latvia in the capital city Riga you can get even up to 1 gig optical network, but i live a bit further..... so yea...
  11. jizzyburnizzy

jizzyburnizzy Newcomer, in training Posts: 46

sounds very cool but seems so unneccesary
  12. Faller

Faller Newcomer, in training

And I'm stuck with 8 for 50 bucks a month.
  13. jazboy

jazboy Newcomer, in training Posts: 112

50 MBps in plane.. that is really cool .. hey wait what is cost going to be for that.. i guess it will be very costly as I am paying 50 bugs for 6 Mbps and that is not even in plane.

14. ruzveh

ruzveh Banned Posts: 124

Sounds good but generally the they avoid us to use any electronic device in the airplane as it may disturb the or mix with the vibration of their gps systems. So will it help us?
  15. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

That's quite impressive.
  16. oasis789

oasis789 Newcomer, in training Posts: 51

this is pretty interesting, since they couldve offered a wired solution with ethernet ports in every seat instead. its a good development

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.