5400 8MB cach with 7200 16MB cache?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K. So I know this may not be such a difficult question but any help would be appreciated. I have a Gateway P6831 that comes with a “WD 250GB 5400RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5-Gb/s HDD. I want to purchase a 2nd HDD so I could have a dedicated location for the Paging Files of this Vista System. The HDD I’m looking at is a Seagate 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3-Gb/s - "ST9250421AS". (SATA 3GB/s should be backward compatible right?)

So, 1 – if I am planning on locating the Paging files onto a 2nd HDD, which drive should I put it on? I believe once hearing the paging file would go best on the faster drive (7200RPM). But for some reason I can’t help to think maybe it would be best to use the newer and faster drive (with a 16MB Cache) for the OS.

And 2 - would there be any kind of conflicts or sluggish behavior due to the differences of these two HDD’s, specially since I am planning on locating the paging files / virtual memory to the 2nd drive?
Are there any opinions or answers?

A 7200rpm drive might work, but some laptops equipped with 5400rpm drives won't recognize a 7200rpm drive. In Vista, locating the page file on other than the C drive won't give you any increase in performance. Going from a 5400 to a 7200 will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back