5400 8MB cach with 7200 16MB cache?

By notrandom
Sep 6, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O.K. So I know this may not be such a difficult question but any help would be appreciated. I have a Gateway P6831 that comes with a “WD 250GB 5400RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5-Gb/s HDD. I want to purchase a 2nd HDD so I could have a dedicated location for the Paging Files of this Vista System. The HDD I’m looking at is a Seagate 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3-Gb/s - "ST9250421AS". (SATA 3GB/s should be backward compatible right?)

So, 1 – if I am planning on locating the Paging files onto a 2nd HDD, which drive should I put it on? I believe once hearing the paging file would go best on the faster drive (7200RPM). But for some reason I can’t help to think maybe it would be best to use the newer and faster drive (with a 16MB Cache) for the OS.

And 2 - would there be any kind of conflicts or sluggish behavior due to the differences of these two HDD’s, specially since I am planning on locating the paging files / virtual memory to the 2nd drive?
    Are there any opinions or answers?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

A 7200rpm drive might work, but some laptops equipped with 5400rpm drives won't recognize a 7200rpm drive. In Vista, locating the page file on other than the C drive won't give you any increase in performance. Going from a 5400 to a 7200 will
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.