550W PSU good enough for this build?

But-ninja

Hey guys

Sorry I know there are allot of people asking about power supplies , but I just want to make sure because everybody tells me something else

Will my Power supply be good enough for this system I am building ?

Specs:

Intel i5 200K
MSI Ph61A-P35
MSI HD 7850 2GB Twin Frozr
Aerocool Xpredator White edition
5x 12 CM LED fans
2x 23 CM fans
1.5 TB Seagate HDD

550 WATT PSU

Thanks any help appreciated

It'll be fine, assuming it is a reputable brand and actually capable of supplying 550w.

What PSU is it?

You definitely want to make sure it is quality. Crappy PSU's can destroy a whole system. Reputable brands: Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, and even Coolermaster PSU's are decent. I haven't had much experience with those though.

Have you already purchased it?

I'd recommend something else if you haven't already.

I would like to take back my description of CM PSU's as "Decent". I didn't know much about these before. But I did look them up and I found a couple problem reviews. Stick with the other 3 names I mentioned and you should be good.

Which model do you have? The GX 550 is ok but I agree, if you haven't bought it yet there are better PSUs for around the same price.

Cooler Master's GX series should be decent; at least, the newer ones should, since they're Enhance-built. Look for part numbers ending in -E3 (as opposed to D3 for the older Seventeam units; avoid those IMHO). The only Enhance unit that has a part ending in -D3 is the GX 400W one, which is probably not what you're looking at but I'm putting it here for completeness' sake.

The GX-Lite versions are likely a mixed-bag; I wouldn't recommend these unless you've got no other choice.

The Extreme Power and Extreme Power Plus series are garbage; don't bother investing in them.

The Silent Pro series are fantastic, and great choices all-round.

I already have this Power supply( the only new things are my Chassis and GPU ) ... and it is a Extreme power plus :(

Will it at least be fine for a while [ One month ? maybe a bit more ] until I can buy a new one ?

Thanks

I would doubt it, but seeing as you've (probably) got no choice, I really don't know what to say..:(

Is it possible for you to return it for some credit, and add some cash to buy another one?

I would doubt it, but seeing as you've (probably) got no choice, I really don't know what to say..:(

Is it possible for you to return it for some credit, and add some cash to buy another one?

It could maybe be possible . How long do you think it will hold ? ( I have had it for a year now +-)

The PSU will probably power your components fine, but it won't output it's rated 550W and will be very inefficient. It's up to you if you're willing to take the risk of running some expensive components with a bad quality PSU, but my advice would be to invest in a decent one which will last 5 or more years.

The PSU will probably power your components fine, but it won't output it's rated 550W and will be very inefficient. It's up to you if you're willing to take the risk of running some expensive components with a bad quality PSU, but my advice would be to invest in a decent one which will last 5 or more years.

What is the risk of doing this ?

I just need to run for a a week or two I wil have The money to buy a Antec or Corsair PSU then

It should be fine in the short term, hell it might even last longer, but I would replace it as soon as you can, if you intend to do so.

Just don't be overclocking the CPU and GPU in the meantime.

The risk is this: If it fails, it could take all of your hardware with it. Then again, the PSU could just die and not affect the hardware at all. Its a lottery basically.

Leeky is correct; you basically don't know when it will fail and what sort of damage it will cause.

The rest is upto you.

Back