5870 No boot, fan full speed - kinda works on other mobo - faulty card?

ivangs

Hello,

I recently posted on this forum after having issues with my computer not booting. Then the PSU literally blew up a day later.

Old System Specs:
Q6600
MSI P7N Diamond
Silverpower sp850w ( has good reviews – just not well known)
Corsair 8GB
HD 5870

The issue I had was: turn on pc, everything lights up but GPU fan spins at full speed – as if it was getting no power or connecting to motherboard. G-card will not boot at all.

I did however find a very strange work around.
To boot the machine I had to remove the 6 pin CPU power on the motherboard.
Turn the machine on… but no boot…
Turn it off and replace CPU power
Turn machine back on and everything works perfectly.
So, It seems that the card can never boot up from cold. If I re-started it worked fine.

I now have a new motherboard, cpu, RAM and PSU. Both motherboards work perfectly with my tester g-card.

New PC Parts,
I5 2500k
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
Corsair TX850w V2

The new one fails to boot at all, even with various different power cables removed.
I cannot RMA card as it is second-hand.

BY using my trick on the old motherboard it works perfectly, so the card actually works….. It’s just having big issues accepting power to boot.

Would flashing the g-card bios help ?

This quote is from an article about flashing the g-card bios… It seems to sum up my issue..
“the video BIOS initializes the card. As soon as it receives power from the motherboard, the BIOS activates the card and identifies itself to the motherboard BIOS.

In short, the video BIOS starts and identifies the card, and provides its initial crop of settings. “

However if I can get any advice on other things to try out then I will happily do them,
The PSU’s are not at fault as There is the same issue with a new Antec 750 PSU and my brand new Corsair TC850w (which is supposed to be one of the dogs bollox of PSU’s)

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Ivan G-S

Welcome to the world of custom building lol, my computer has similar problems that if i have had it turned off for more than 5 minutes it will not boot and keeps bluescreen until i do a clean boot with a power drain, my solution to that is do just set the bios on the MB to use a 1W standby and leave it in sleep mode always (reboot it every so often)

Hello,

I recently posted on this forum after having issues with my computer not booting. Then the PSU literally blew up a day later.

Old System Specs:
Q6600
MSI P7N Diamond
Silverpower sp850w ( has good reviews – just not well known)
Corsair 8GB
HD 5870

The issue I had was: turn on pc, everything lights up but GPU fan spins at full speed – as if it was getting no power or connecting to motherboard. G-card will not boot at all.

I did however find a very strange work around.
To boot the machine I had to remove the 6 pin CPU power on the motherboard.
Turn the machine on… but no boot…
Turn it off and replace CPU power
Turn machine back on and everything works perfectly.
So, It seems that the card can never boot up from cold. If I re-started it worked fine.

I now have a new motherboard, cpu, RAM and PSU. Both motherboards work perfectly with my tester g-card.

New PC Parts,
I5 2500k
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
Corsair TX850w V2

The new one fails to boot at all, even with various different power cables removed.
I cannot RMA card as it is second-hand.

BY using my trick on the old motherboard it works perfectly, so the card actually works….. It’s just having big issues accepting power to boot.

Would flashing the g-card bios help ?

This quote is from an article about flashing the g-card bios… It seems to sum up my issue..
“the video BIOS initializes the card. As soon as it receives power from the motherboard, the BIOS activates the card and identifies itself to the motherboard BIOS.

In short, the video BIOS starts and identifies the card, and provides its initial crop of settings. “

However if I can get any advice on other things to try out then I will happily do them,
The PSU’s are not at fault as There is the same issue with a new Antec 750 PSU and my brand new Corsair TC850w (which is supposed to be one of the dogs bollox of PSU’s)

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Ivan G-S

Did you connect both the 6-pin PCI-E connectors to the video card?

Hiya,

Thanks for the suggestion.. Yes I hvae both 6 pin adpators connected. I have triend the same on two anple power PSU's (750w & 850w)

It was working the night before and I never touched anything, now it won't boot.

I can easily afford a new card, it just seems a massive waste that it works, just one tiny setting somwhere is wrong that stops it initialising...

I will try more today in another different motherboard then in a freind's pc... IF it does not work I will contact ATI - Failing that I will sell it on ebay with description of fault and get a replacement card.

I would do a brand specific search for that 5870 card and problems. I would think that some capacitor or other component that had been used by a specific card maker could have gone.

Hello,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have done many searches for this issue without success, techspot was one of the sites I looked at... The issue is that the card operates perfectly once booted, it is just that getting to that stage is a real pain. It works in the old motherboard if I do the remove and re-insert CPU power pins.

I'll keep trying a little more till I get bored ;)

Back