-5v rail on Kingwin ABT-600MA1S PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw23

About 10 months after I built my system I started getting some stablity issues.

I used a simple PSU tester(one of the LED ones) to test my psu and it didnt show power on the -5v rail. I checked the tester out on a couple of psu's that tested good.

So I RMA'd my psu and got a new one and installed it and still had the same problems. I then took the psu back out and tested it again and it still didnt show power on the -5v rail.

I RMA'd the psu again and when I got the second replacement I tested it right out of the box and this too tested bad.

This may be irrelivent to my main question, but while waiting on the second replacement I checked out the rest of my hardware and found my CPU was bad which I relplaced. I know have the system running again but with a different lower quality PSU.

The PSU in question is a Kingwin ABT-600MA1S.

My question is, am I missing something? Could the PSU actually be good even though my tester doesnt show power on the -5v rail? Or have I just been a victim of bad luck.

Also what exactly is the -5v rail used for? The PSU doesnt have this rail listed on the sticker that is on its side and most PSU's that I have seen have -5V on the sticker along with its amperage.

It is a standby voltage that is not actually used anymore for powering hardware. It hasn't been used readily since the days of ISA. In many PSUs, like SFF PSUs, you'll find -5V to be completely absent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back