-5v rail on Kingwin ABT-600MA1S PSU

By Shaw23
Nov 1, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. About 10 months after I built my system I started getting some stablity issues.

I used a simple PSU tester(one of the LED ones) to test my psu and it didnt show power on the -5v rail. I checked the tester out on a couple of psu's that tested good.

So I RMA'd my psu and got a new one and installed it and still had the same problems. I then took the psu back out and tested it again and it still didnt show power on the -5v rail.

I RMA'd the psu again and when I got the second replacement I tested it right out of the box and this too tested bad.

This may be irrelivent to my main question, but while waiting on the second replacement I checked out the rest of my hardware and found my CPU was bad which I relplaced. I know have the system running again but with a different lower quality PSU.

The PSU in question is a Kingwin ABT-600MA1S.

My question is, am I missing something? Could the PSU actually be good even though my tester doesnt show power on the -5v rail? Or have I just been a victim of bad luck.

Also what exactly is the -5v rail used for? The PSU doesnt have this rail listed on the sticker that is on its side and most PSU's that I have seen have -5V on the sticker along with its amperage.
  2. Justin

Justin Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,595

It is a standby voltage that is not actually used anymore for powering hardware. It hasn't been used readily since the days of ISA. In many PSUs, like SFF PSUs, you'll find -5V to be completely absent.
  3. Shaw23

Shaw23 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 102

That is great to know, thanks for your help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.