TechSpot

64 bit upgrade ERROR

1. I I have just recently built my p.c, in unrestrained egarness I have accidently installed the 32 bit version (I also have installed graphic drivers n ect before I relised my mistake). under the advice of the internet and a friend I have been told just to put the 64 bit disk in and let it do its thing and that should install the 64 bit.

however it does not boot from disk, instead it comes up with a message about hardware or software error and that I should repair it with my OS disk. thus I tried agian using the 32 bit disk to boot but instead it just freezes when I hit the any key!

I need help in rectifying this problem!

ty Auronv

error message as follows
    : window failed to start. a recent hardware or software cahge may be the problem. to fix:
    1. insert windows instaltion disc n restart
    2.choose your language and then clik next
    3. click repair you comp

if you do not have disc contact some one

file:\windows\system32\boot\winload.efi

info: the selected etery could not be loaded because the aplication is missing or corrupt (it isnt as I used the disk to suplement a freinds broken disk a few days ago)

2. Arron Robertson

Arron Robertson TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh mother board model is gigabyte 970a-ds3

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,027   +913

What are your specs other than the motherboard? Did you set the BIOS to boot from the disc? You may have to do a clean install from scratch. Installing a 64bit OS over the 32bit installation can cause problems.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

Agree:- wipe the HD and start over

5. Arron Robertson

Cheers was contemplating that. any advice of how to do that?(a clean wipe) and yeah I set boot from disk.

6. JC713

This shows you in a nutshell how to do it: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/clean-install

I bet the installer for Windows XP doesnt give you the options the Win 7 one does. I am not really too familiar on installing XP, so jobeard might know. You have to format the drive and install. Back up all the files you need.

7. Arron Robertson

Ah k but mines windows 7. also tryed using formatting software on Ultimate Boot CD had no luck as an error message appears when I try to use DBan programm

8. JC713

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.