64 bit vs 32 bit

By kpbradley
Aug 21, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am looking to install vista ultimate but cant find a 64 bit version. What is the difference going to be if any, I am running Xp Pro 64 bit now?
  2. k.jacko

k.jacko Newcomer, in training Posts: 743

Do you need 64 bit processing? You running rendering software and such-like?
    If not, don't bother, go 32 bit.
  3. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,711

Vista Home Premium Edition 64bit OEM, Microsoft part number 66I-00788
    Try ebuyer if in the UK or USA (ebuyer part number 123067)
  4. kpbradley

kpbradley TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 133

I am not sure if I need 64 bit processing. I have a 64 bit processor so I thought I needed a 64 bit OS this is not true?
  5. AlbertLionheart

Not all 64 bit processors are set to run in 64 bit mode - this is a motherboard setting I think. Sorry to be vague but don't have a 64 bit system here to muck about with!
  6. kpbradley

kpbradley TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 133

But it would be safe you think to switch? I mean I can always go back and reinstall xp.
  7. AlbertLionheart

Be sure that you have the option!
  8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,419   +281

You don't need a 64bit OS to run on your AMD or Intel 64bit processor. 32bit will run just fine. You also won't really see any benefit of 64bit unless you want to run 4+ gigs of RAM.

Having said that, if you don't have any obscure hardware there is no strong reason I can see to not running the 64bit version. (aside from maybe some digital rights restrictions....)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.