TechSpot

64 bit vs 32 bit

By kpbradley
Aug 21, 2007
  1. I am looking to install vista ultimate but cant find a 64 bit version. What is the difference going to be if any, I am running Xp Pro 64 bit now?

2. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

Do you need 64 bit processing? You running rendering software and such-like?
    If not, don't bother, go 32 bit.

3. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

Vista Home Premium Edition 64bit OEM, Microsoft part number 66I-00788
    Try ebuyer if in the UK or USA (ebuyer part number 123067)

4. kpbradley

kpbradley TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 114

I am not sure if I need 64 bit processing. I have a 64 bit processor so I thought I needed a 64 bit OS this is not true?

5. AlbertLionheart

Not all 64 bit processors are set to run in 64 bit mode - this is a motherboard setting I think. Sorry to be vague but don't have a 64 bit system here to muck about with!

6. kpbradley

kpbradley TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 114

But it would be safe you think to switch? I mean I can always go back and reinstall xp.

7. AlbertLionheart

Be sure that you have the option!

8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

You don't need a 64bit OS to run on your AMD or Intel 64bit processor. 32bit will run just fine. You also won't really see any benefit of 64bit unless you want to run 4+ gigs of RAM.

Having said that, if you don't have any obscure hardware there is no strong reason I can see to not running the 64bit version. (aside from maybe some digital rights restrictions....)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.