64-Bit Xeon Cometh!

By Phantasm66
Jun 28, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, its been promised for a long, long time. After all the hype, the talk, its finally here - on Monday is rolling out an x86 chip with 64-bit extensions with the official launch of the next-generation dual-processor Xeon chip, code-named Nocona.

The new chip will first appear in workstations—such as Hewlett-Packard Co.'s dual-processor xw6200 and xw8200, which also will debut this week—and later this summer will find its way into servers.

More here, and here.

Great! Now all I have to do is save up the money for 8 of them and an 8-way Xeon mobo, and then we'll all see who's the fps king!
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Probably someone with an 8-way Opteron machine (or even 4-way) as the 64-bit were added at the last minute & do not really work that well on the Xeon.;)
  3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 6,504

Well I wasn't meaning specifically that chip or even that many chips, I was kind of kidding. Yes, I do want a 64-bit, SMP board for my next machine but that's about all I know at this stage.
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

It would be nice if you were to get such a machine but not for your personal use, no siree Bob. You'd need to set it up as a UT/Q3/W:ET/CS:CZ server & get a T1 line so that everyone from the channel can connect & play whenever they want.:D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.