64-Bit Xeon Cometh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Well, its been promised for a long, long time. After all the hype, the talk, its finally here - on Monday is rolling out an x86 chip with 64-bit extensions with the official launch of the next-generation dual-processor Xeon chip, code-named Nocona.

The new chip will first appear in workstations—such as Hewlett-Packard Co.'s dual-processor xw6200 and xw8200, which also will debut this week—and later this summer will find its way into servers.

More here, and here.

Great! Now all I have to do is save up the money for 8 of them and an 8-way Xeon mobo, and then we'll all see who's the fps king!

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Great! Now all I have to do is save up the money for 8 of them and an 8-way Xeon mobo, and then we'll all see who's the fps king!

Probably someone with an 8-way Opteron machine (or even 4-way) as the 64-bit were added at the last minute & do not really work that well on the Xeon.;)

Well I wasn't meaning specifically that chip or even that many chips, I was kind of kidding. Yes, I do want a 64-bit, SMP board for my next machine but that's about all I know at this stage.

It would be nice if you were to get such a machine but not for your personal use, no siree Bob. You'd need to set it up as a UT/Q3/W:ET/CS:CZ server & get a T1 line so that everyone from the channel can connect & play whenever they want.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back