64mb to 256mb, and still slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddmatt02

ok, my grandmas computer is an old hp 6623 I think. by no means a fast computer, but they only use it for free cell and email, so its fine.

but my computer at home, is a P3 733 on an asus cusl2 board, 384 mb of pc133. speedtest.net shows my bandwidth around 800-1200 mbps lately. and it loads very fast. watching videos online is no problem.

her computer is a amd K6-2 500, its an all in one board. also she only had 64mb pc100, and 8 was stolen for video.

once you finally got to speedtest.net it shows around 1300-1400 mbps. but every web page loads very slow. they have norton go back, i believe some kind of anti virus, run disk cleanup and disk defrag all the time, said 5 days ago when I was over there today.

also, when trying to watch a video from youtube or something, it is very jumpy, just like trying to watch a video directly off of a slow sd card.

today I was there and installed.2 micron PC100 128mb sticks, for a total of 256, and after video, her system info shows 248, so it does recognize it.

now I know bringing my pc from 128 to 384 made a huge difference, and i just figured that having only 56mb of ram was their problem, well. not really. double click IE and it takes probably 1-2 seconds to open, and google(home page) takes at least 4-5 seconds still???

it moves along better than dial up, so they like it still (moved from where 28.8k dial up was all they had) but I think it sucks. didnt try watchign a video, but im sure it wouldnt be any better.

and if you open a new window, be prepared to wait a few seconds before you are even able to click anything on the new window itself, like to maximize, and another couple to have the page load.

what can I check. browsing the web seems like it should be an easy thing for a computer to do. I remember a P2 450 with like 128mb of ram i built from spare parts once and I remember it being way faster thean hers.

I am getting my sisters old P4 pc at the end of the year and Im putting my mobo/cpu/hdd/etc in their case (smaller and fits their desk) but for now I just wanna make theirs better for when Im overe there.

thanks

That computer has a maximum memory possibility of 384 mb. Install it all.
What you describe was designed into the 6623 on purpose. Startups and bootups will always be slow.
Give your grandmother a terrific gift... a computer that works... Pay more attention to her than to yourself... she deserves something nice for her later years.

well, thing is, she doesnt care, they think it is great, Im sure theyd like it if it was faster, but if 56 to 248 didnt make a world of difference, is 384 really gonna help. also I cant give her mine yet or I wont have one, well, i got this laptop but it isnt "MINE".

I cant put a faster cpu in hers because the manual says thats the max. and I didnt wanna get more memory if it wont help. also, what do you mean it boots up slow on purpose, hp actually made it slow ON PURPOSE, or it was just a cheap computer so it wasnt built to go fast?

thanks

It is slow because that CPU is very slow. I've tried to use a K6-2 based system myself a while ago & I can confirm that unless you're surfing text based pages on the web, it will slow down to a crawl no matter what you do. Don't try to upgrade the memory any further, it will not help. Just get her a new system.

im pricing components to build a new one right now so I can give them mine.

i got mine back in 2001 i think, before they got theirs even, but I got top of the line or close back then, ive only added memory and replaced a bad hdd, and went to win2k, but man it flys compared to theirs.

Ill probably keep my dvd drive and cd burner. I want something better but I know theyll never burn a cd.

Yes, it can make a difference. going from 256 to 384 is a huge leap when the memory also has to provide help to the video graphics. Of course you need 512, but since only 384 is max, go for it. Be sure you are using Windows 98SE, and not WME or WXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back