6600 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevendukic

I just bought a brand new msi motherboard with socket 939 and the whole express thing. got a processor with socket 939, amd 64, and a video card, geforce 6600. Got it all plugged up. Everything comes on when I turn it on, all fans and the such, but the monitor says on the screen "check cord" but both are plugged in. I tried it with another monitor, and the same thing happened. So apparently there's some problem with the monitors and video card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming you have a 6600GT make sure that you have power connected directly to the card (should be just a 4 pin molex).

The pci-e 6600 series don't have a 4 pin molex. The agp ones do.
You don't have the msi rs480 micro atx board by chance do you?

No, I have the MSI k8n neo4. I've tried everything, I have no idea what to do. The motherboard and the card are pci express x16. I don't understand what I need to do?

I'd guess the video card is defective. How do you have the monitor connected? Is it to the vga(blue) port? If so, get the dvi to vga adapter(most cards come with one), and connect your monitor to the dvi port with the adapter. If it works, then your vga port it bad. If it doesn't the card itself(or possibly the motherboard), is bad.

I tried both the connections on the video card. A friend of mine said it may possibly be something with the hard drive that had the other video card settings installed, and it's not reading the new card. But I put in an older video card with the same results, nothing. First time buying from newegg, so I'd have to say I'm not happy with them right now. I'm sending them a complaint right now. thanks for your help thus far.

I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying here. Did you just install a new mobo but are trying to use your old hard drive without reinstalling Windows? If so it won't work unless you've gone to great lengths (special programs, much coding, etc.) to transfer everything over. You will need to reinstall windows and then all the drivers if you expect this to work OK. Windows does not like to change mobos. Just doesn't work .

There we go. I am using an old Hard drive with windows installed. I figured I'd have to do something along those lines, but i can't even get the screen to work. Will I have to remove the hard drive, put it in another computer, remove windows, then put it back in the computer with new motherboard?

Put in the windows CD and see if it will boot from it. It should since the default BIOS settings on your board will be looking for windows install. If not, pull the battery on the mobo and swirtch the jumpers to kick BIOS back to default settings. Then replace the battery and reboot w/ the windows CD in the drive. When it comes up you'll want to do a full install of windows, that means formatting the entire hard disk so if there is somethng on there you want get it saved to a CD or another hard drive.

1)I don't have the cd for windows, but i can get it in a couple of days.
2)Is there any other possible thing that could be wrong. I mean, I can't even see whats going on since the screen is blank. I sent newegg an email and they haven't responded yet.

Yes you can:

1. unplug your PC from the wall sand then unplug all your drives and remove all your PCI cards.
2. Do the remove battery, switch jumpers to clear CMOS/BIOS thing. put the jumper back and replace battery.
2. Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots and securely installed and that the video card is securely installed. Some folks say to use 1 stick of RAM only, thereby eliminating any and all superfluous components. If you do that, just make sure the 1 stick is in the correct slot as directed by your instruction manual. Also, be sure you have both power plugs in (24 or 24 pin.and 4 pin P4) securely.
3. Reboot with just the CPU, RAM, video card installed. No hard drives, no CDROMS, no floppy drive. Just the basic mobo and the 2 power cords.

You should be able to get to BIOS. Let me know if it works. At least then you'll know the heart of the system is good.

OK, take your old video card and stick it in the slot and with the stripped down configuration, reboot an see if you can get to BIOS. Right now we just want to see if you can get to the BIOS screen.

I thought of that. My old card won't fit in any of the slots. But I did borrow an older card from a friend and it got the same "check pc and cable" on the monitor screen.

Can you change monitors? That may be the problem. Also, check the cord that you are using to connect to the monitor (bent pins bad wiring etc.). Your monitor is not getting a signal, tat is what it is telling you.

I think your mobo must be bad then. You've tried just about every permutation and no joy so possiblythe PCIe slot is shot.

i hate new egg. I tried calling them and emailing them, no reply. I don't see how the pcie slot could be shot since the fan on the video card is turning. That was the pci express slot. when i plugged the older one in, i used a standard pci slot, and same result. So is it possible that maybe there's something on the motherboard that I failed to connect. Somthing a lot of people forget. if you have an aim screen name, i'd really like to have it, just so this doesn't take so effin long. thanks for help thus far.

Newegg has been good to me, my guess is that being a weekend/holiday, you aren't getting a timely response. They've always treated me right, but I guess it can depend on the rep. you get(if you reach one :)).

One thought, what psu(power supply unit) do you have? If it's a cheap brand or a low wattage one, it may not supply enough juice. Is it 24pin main connector?

I had a 350w name brand in there with a 20 pin main connector, it was making some strange noises, like it was struggling. So I put in my Okia 500w with 20-pin connector and it's real quite. I went and bought a 20 to 24 pin converter.

If you are getting the same thing from both slots then it could very well be a failed chipset. I would RMA the mobo at this point.

I emailed newegg again, hopefully they'll respond this time. I think they charge a fee to have it returned, which is pointless but whatever. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back