700~ computer need recommendations

Hi!

Unfortunately, I basically have no idea on how good/effective all these computer parts are, so I need recommendations from you people so I don't screw up my first computer.

What I'm planning to do with this computer : play games! (wc3, cs, sc2 when it comes out!)

From what I've read, 8800 gt seems like a decent graphics card? Is it fine for running the above games and maybe a bit more advanced?

Should I be getting a barebone kit or should I buy custom parts from newegg/tigerdirect/etc.

sorry, I'm so ignorant about this. im hoping to learn this info someday and build a computer by myself.

Thanks in advance!

Wow! thanks for the advice.

For the graphics card, that is a high end one right? would it be better to go for a 8800 or a 8900 and get a better one later?

Another question, if I was to get the mobo that you suggested should i be worried if the video card is compatible with it?

Yes, the HD 4870 is a very high-end card, being the competitor to the GTX 260, which it performs on par with.

I'd recommend going with a single high-end card now, for the maximum possible performance boost.

And no, you won't have compatibility issues between the mobo and the card.

Is there an advantage for getting a 4gb ram for 40$ more?

also monitors: Samsung 2253LW 21.6" Widescreen Glossy LCD Monitor

this seemed fine for me

and case: Antec NSK4000

any cons about these?

(sorry i cant post links yet :()

thanks in advance

4GB of RAM requires a 64-bit OS so you can utilize all your RAM, since 32-bit OSes are limited to recognizing 4GB of memory, which includes VRAM as well. So for you, if you get a 4GB kit, any 32-bit OS will only recognize 3.5GB of it, the rest not being recognized or utilized. 2GB is more than enough IMO, unless you're willing to get a 64-bit OS.

The case and monitor look fine BTW.

This thread has gotten me to thinking. What OS is going to be purchased and will that be the single biggest expense in the whole project?

Back