$700 Gaming PC build

By matchu
Jan 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, everyone! Just looking for advice on a build for another friend.

Budget: $700 CAD
    Needs: Monitor, Keyboard/Mouse, Speakers, OS
    Tweaking: none (oc, unlocking, etc...)
    Online purchasing: OK
    Purpose: basic games at moderate/high settings (SC2, Diablo III eventually)

The approach I'm taking right now is to start with CPU/GPU and just budget everything around it

The platform i'm thinking is... Athlon II X3 + Radeon 5770, which comes to a total of (75+135) $210, which includes ballpark rebates I'm seeing at newegg.ca on the 5770

I'm looking at a monitor with at least 1680x1050 resolution ($100 in these parts if I'm patient)

Windows 7 is $100 (I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that my friend will buy this)

This leaves almost $300 for the rest of the parts (Case, PSU, MB, RAM, Speakers, Keyboard/Mouse, Disc drive), which is kind of difficult. Here are some estimates

Ram: $40
    HDD: $40
    Speakers: $20
    K/M: $20
    Disc Drive: $20
    Case: $60
    MB: $60 (some MSI 770 boards)
    PSU: ?

I don't want to get a no-name PSU. But there's not much budget left.

Suggestions on the case, PSU, CPU/GPU? It'd be much appreciated!

Thanks!
  2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

my suggestion save a little more and go from there $900 to $1000 will net you a much better computer.
  3. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 768   +47

I second that. You are very close to being able to have an amazing setup. A little bit of patience will be worth it. That extra $200-300 could get you a better video card and a monitor to do it justice.
  4. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,508   +81

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.