TechSpot

720 MB on 1 CD ???

By scorpion_1112
Jun 3, 2005
  1. K so i wanna back my data on CDs but there some DivX files that i cannot reduce more than 700-710 MB minimum. I have only a CD writer so i wanna put them on CDs somehow...

Is that possible?

(Pss: I remember watching a VCD which had a file of size 800 MB! Hows that possible? :confused: )

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

There are 800MB CD(R)s.. And you may be able to enable "overburning" in your CD writing software to get that little extra over 700MB.

3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

VCD runs on time length of show, not size. I've put a 900MB 30 min clip on a VCD.

Be careful with overburning, as it might not come out exactly correct, but there is only one way to find out :p give it a shot.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

4. scorpion_1112

scorpion_1112 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

First of all, thanks for ur support guys.. :grinthumb

k to be precise, im using Nero 6603. When i try overburn.. it says cannot put 704 MB on 702 MB disk.. Maybe thats the maximum my raw CDs can hold, so i cannot overburn? (i have no experience in overburning)

K i didnt know about 800 MB CDs, so i will try to get them also...

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You can increase the overburn limit in nero configuration. The amount of extra data you can squeeze on a CD depends a lot. On your CD burner, on Nero's mood, on the brand of CD-Rs, on the specific CD you put in.

6. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic TS Rookie

720mb on a cd should be quite easy to over burn to. most software should support overburning. i can get 770 easily without any problems reading it again etc with my NEC 3520. and yeah, it helps a lot, let me stress again, A LOT, to have good quality cds.

7. zillah

zillah TS Rookie Posts: 47

If the size of the file that i want to burn is 720 MB, under option-->Expert Features, what should I enable ?

A- Relative maximum overburning size

B- Absolute maximum overburning size

Note: I have got Nero V7

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

from what I have heard extreme overburning can lead to unreliable reads on some CD/DVD players as the factory default is not to read beyond a certain threshold. If using it on your own system, that's ok, but bear in mind, not everyone may be able to read it.

9. zillah

What about the above quoted ?

10. zillah

Any comment ?

11. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

for all the effort it is waste of time to try and save that last little bit
    get dvd shrink its free --->Here
    it will shrink your movies to fit the disc the quility is like a good vhs
    don't forget to donate if you like it

12. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

No illegal activities ok? lol

Also the guy that made/updated the program now works for nero ahead, he doesn't really need the money.

ha

Edit: oh i thought you had gone to the main site or something.

13. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

14. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner TS Rookie Posts: 106

I think you can get 850's high-capacity. I'm not sure, I THINK so.

15. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,687   +394

That doesn't help much (at all) if he has a 720meg divx file he wants on a CD.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.